another interesting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, hopefully that will be it. ill investigate that and get back to you with my results. thanks for the advice

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no corrosion on the plugs of the ecu, the ground seems solid and the wire was in good shape. also tryed the gas cap idea and that didnt help. whats next? :confused:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I am still betting on a ground issue. But could possible be corrosion in/under the front (engine) fuse panel.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, if it is a grounding isssue, how do you suggest i fix it,regrounding it to somewhere else if so where?,and can i just use the existing wire? and just change the location? ill also check the fuse box.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still betting on a ground issue. But could possible be corrosion in/under the front (engine) fuse panel.
dammit--
you're making me think ---- I remember several years ago reading about corrosion under the main fusebox (under the hood)

As I recall sometimes the connections are burned underneath.

Widepud , you may want to search"discovery fusebox corrosion"

Alot of my connections were loose when I checked mine after purchase -- I hope you find some

luck,greg

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will take it out and look tonight. the top looks perfect but i will take a look under tonight. also w the grounding idea possably being the problem, isnt the engine suposed to be grounded to the frame ? mine dosnt seem to be atleast not anywhere i can see.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just about every item on a Rover is grounded... when the ground breaks or corrodes weird stuff happens.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update - i re grounded both the ecu and the alternator that should ground the engine correct? i grounded both of them to the negative on the battery, which should be a solid ground. still had the problem. also checked the fuse box and it looks to be in real good shape checked the conections on the bottom and they looked brand new. ok, also while looking over the rover w my uncle- gm master mechanic( not that what he knows transfers to rovers but hes a master mechanic not some guy that just like builds derby cars or something) anyways he suggested maybe the ignition switch since you kinda have to properly position the key for it to turn to engage the ignition and suggested i wiggle the key when the "issue" happens, so i went for a drive to try this out. no "issue" so i just messed w the key to see if that would make it have said "issue". nothing. but i did have something happen that never happened w any other veicle ive owned, while doing the turning of the key i explained,and driving along at about 50 mph i turned the key all the way off, and that turned off all power to everything, dash cluster and power options and all, this i expected, but while in drive i was able to restart the rove and everything popped right back up,although at a dead stop i tryed the same(starting while in drive and nothing). and also i had my uncle clear the codes that came up from checking sensors to see if there was going to be a new problem, on the good side the o2 sensors finaly set,but there was also a misfire on 7. that lines up w the coil i replaced but the other plug didnt have a fault. i dont know if this points to something new or not but im up for new ideas, or if you have a better ground idea. anything? :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused: i know fire will fix the problem but i realy like the rove and honestly dont want to ever get rid of it. ive wanted this exact rove since 96 when i was just out of school and had no bills i was gunna buy one brand new, just could'nt find a local dealer,anyways . ive wanted this evil devil @#!% thing since it was made so im not giving up on it anytime soon so please help and thank you for all the help so far.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I just tried posting a nice long reply & this site DENIED ME AGAIN!!!

& I can't type!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4