Another tire question, 275/60/18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally, my friend is sending me 18 inch wheels I bought long time ago so I am shopping for new tires.

Thanks to nwoods, I see all right tires for 18 inch wheel here:

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=46

I initially thought about getting Cooper Zeon or Nitto Terra (285/60/18) but rubbing could be an issue for me so I am thinking about 275/60/18 - biggest I can put without worrying about rubbing.

According to nwoods chart, I see Yokohama Geolander A/T-S as only option for 275/60/18 size. Two questions I have:

1. Is it good for most on-road and occasional off-road?

2. should I buy them on-line to save money? Many local shops offer free services (such as flat fix, rotation) with tire purchase. I guess it's personal preference (cheap vs more service) but would like to hear others' opinion.

Thanks in advance. - Brian

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Yoko AT-S in 265/60-18 with an LI110. I know the LI on the 275 is 116. I stuck with the 265 as the diameter and LI were within the LRNA limits.

The AT-S is an excellent tire. Better dry/wet/hydroplane grip and quiter than the wranglers. It obviously does a lot better off-road than the wranglers--much, much less wheel spin..obviously. I would also put the AT-S above the Revo's I had on my GX off-road.

The only downsides are I would rather the LI was 112+, but it is within the GVWR @ 110, and they are wearing on the outside tread-blocks. On the latter, it is perennial alignment issues combined with my penchant to drive at a fast clip on really windy roads (surf in Bolinas). I do think they are a softer tread than others, but I prefer the added grip versus longer tread life.

CR ranked the AT-S #2 recently, behind the Pirelli ATR.

Last edited:

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian,

I would reconsider the Coopers. The rubbing is minor and the price is cheaper than the Yokohama. I paid $161 apiece at Americas Tire.

-Pic

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys.

Another main reason I ruled out Cooper or Nitto is because snow chain. I live in DE and do a frequent trip to Vermont during winter so, I would like to have an option of snow chain, just in case.

Also found Micheline tire in that size:

Micheline Latitude Tour HP

It's not as aggressive as Yokohama tire but looks good for on-road.

I still have time until I receive those wheels so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check out the nokian WRG2 I am leaning toward the coopers myself right now

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yoko Geolander AT/S is a pretty good tire, for most off roading purposes it's going to do well, and be light years better than the stock Goodyear HP Wranglers.

Flysurfer, I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revo's on my 6,000 lbs Nissan Armada and they are awesome. Very smooth on the road, and enough bite to handle the dirt okay. No appreciable side lugs so, trail use is limited, but for straight ahead traction they do well, and they look pretty good. Keep in mind however, that are Armada rarely sees the dirt, and when it does, its fairly tame fire roads and such.

Armada.gif

Last edited:

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ye, that's the one my dealer carries. Unfortunately, they don't have a size I am looking for, 275/60/18

What do you guys think of General tires? According to Tirerack.com, it has highest rating in "highway all season" - I rarely go off-roading so decided to go with on-road tires.

Tirerack Survey Result

Is General a reliable/reputable brand in tire industry?

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ye, that's the one my dealer carries. Unfortunately, they don't have a size I am looking for, 275/60/18

What do you guys think of General tires? According to Tirerack.com, it has highest rating in "highway all season" - I rarely go off-roading so decided to go with on-road tires.

Tirerack Survey Result

Is General a reliable/reputable brand in tire industry?
I believe General is made by Continental, so yes, they are a reliable/reputable brand. We have the General Grabber AT2s (stock 255/60R18) on ours and have been very happy with them. Search on "grabber" and my user name and you'll find lots of write-ups I've done on them.

BTW - it is what our dealer puts on their CPOs.

-Rich

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635