Another tire/wheel thread: 19" vs 18"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not take this truck into the boonies without E rated rubber. At least not any boonies where rocks are a thing.

These things weigh 7,000 pounds or more when kitted out.

I learned this through experience back in my earlier LR4 days.

I'm running 275/70 these days, and it is the first tire size I am starting to get pretty comfortable with. Loads more sidewall than my old Zeons on 19's, and finally enough sidewall that you get a little protrusion past the wheel lip to offer the rim some protection. My old 18" LR3 wheels with 265/65's got the absolute crap kicked out of them on a few talus slope crossings.

Granted, that my truck is not a daily driver, and I do not tow with it, but for hard use, I want the biggest, heaviest tire I can possibly stuff under there. Next time I need brakes, I will likely replace mine with the TD6 rotors and carriers and set it up to run 17" wheels.

YMMV, or course.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brakes do fit under 18s quite easily. Imo it's pointless to have a big heavy off roader on wheels that have no tire options suitable for off roading or serious towing. Might as well buy a awd wagon and enjoy much better handling.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the brakes only fit under the compmotive 18s. Is that not the case? And how does one go to 17s? Just a rotor change? I’d absolutely love to go to 17s. Just put brakes on about 10k ago, but I’m about to do tires in the next couple of months — so I’d love to get into 17s and a good AT tire.

Not that 17s + tires + new brakes isn’t going to get pricey fast ...

Anyway, any guidance is appreciated.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the brakes only fit under the compmotive 18s. Is that not the case? And how does one go to 17s? Just a rotor change? I’d absolutely love to go to 17s. Just put brakes on about 10k ago, but I’m about to do tires in the next couple of months — so I’d love to get into 17s and a good AT tire.

Not that 17s + tires + new brakes isn’t going to get pricey fast ...

Anyway, any guidance is appreciated.

TD6 brakes. Rotors, calipers, and caliper brackets.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72