Anyone try the ceramic brembo pads that rockauto offers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me the amount of dust in this day and age is just not justifiable
I understand the concern... I don't like "dirty" pads either. But the super-low-dust pads (typically ceramics) tend to have trade-offs in both performance and noise. I tried Akebono Euro and Ate ceramics on several different vehicles (all passenger cars, not LR) and while they had very light dust, I couldn't stand the pedal feel or squeal. I won't buy ceramics again, but that's just me... YMMV, etc...

:driver:

Last edited:

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
odd. i use akebono and hawk ceramics and they both have better pedal feel to me

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of the Max Brake Elite Rotors and their best pads. $215 shipped to my House. I'll report back on how this turns out...

** Edit, they have already called me back to let me know it will actually be $241 shipped. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Lakeranger

Reaction score
The original question was on using the Brembo ceramic pads from Rockauto. I installed these a few weeks ago on my 07 RR/SC and they seem to be quality pads but only time will tell. They only come with pads and no hardware, even though the listing in Rockauto indicate hardware is included. Be careful removing the brake wear sensor as mine was stuck in the pad and had to be pried out. These sensors break easily, therefore I'd recommend purchasing new. Also follow the recommended pad bedding procedure (see Brembo website for procedure).

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the concern... I don't like "dirty" pads either. But the super-low-dust pads (typically ceramics) tend to have trade-offs in both performance and noise. I tried Akebono Euro and Ate ceramics on several different vehicles (all passenger cars, not LR) and while they had very light dust, I couldn't stand the pedal feel or squeal. I won't buy ceramics again, but that's just me... YMMV, etc...

:driver:

Sort of with you on that one. The Akebono ceramics on my Honda feel "wooden". Also a lot of the dust created with the LR$ (esp in the front) is the high carbon metal from the rotors. Those stock rotors wear quick (feel the lip). That metal is going somewhere lol.

medman61

Reaction score
I have been using Maxbrakes on all my cars for the last 2-3 years with zero issues. Very minimal brake dust, no pulsation and they catch impressively. Even my wife noticed the brakes are sharper. You have to order them which takes about 2-3 weeks. Buy the Elite Rotors (Black) and premium ceramic pads(grey&blue). Proper installation is key, Hub surface has to be clean from dirt and rust and greased before mounting the rotors and slider pins should be well lubricated and make sure lug nuts are tightened to 110 ft pounds and finally do the brake break in procedure. I currently have them installed on 3 cars and i have installed them for friends with zero issues. I dont work for max brakes and i'm not getting any commission, We are on this forum to help each other, i've heard of folks paying up to $1000 for brakes for their LR while i just spend less than $200 buying max brakes.

Appreciate the info, I may try these on my next brake replacement. Have done this twice already on my 2010 LR4, first time at dealer, ridiculous price for the job $3500 - I was naive and fairly new LR owner, second time bought kit from Atlantic British and had local guy do it, still over $1000 as the Atlantic British kit is almost $900.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using Maxbrakes on all my cars for the last 2-3 years with zero issues. Very minimal brake dust, no pulsation and they catch impressively. Even my wife noticed the brakes are sharper. You have to order them which takes about 2-3 weeks. Buy the Elite Rotors (Black) and premium ceramic pads(grey&blue). Proper installation is key, Hub surface has to be clean from dirt and rust and greased before mounting the rotors and slider pins should be well lubricated and make sure lug nuts are tightened to 110 ft pounds and finally do the brake break in procedure. I currently have them installed on 3 cars and i have installed them for friends with zero issues. I dont work for max brakes and i'm not getting any commission, We are on this forum to help each other, i've heard of folks paying up to $1000 for brakes for their LR while i just spend less than $200 buying max brakes.
Azoo - could you comment on the wear life on these MaxBrakes? I'm guessing you've gone through more than one set based on your comments.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Azoo - could you comment on the wear life on these MaxBrakes? I'm guessing you've gone through more than one set based on your comments.

I first used them on a 2001 Mercedes E320 sometime late 2015 (all 4 pads and rotors) and i did 45,000km on them till the cylinder of the car blew in feb 2018. I then bought a mazda 3 that same febuary to replace the mercedes and installed maxbrakes again on all 4 corners of the mazda, i have done 18,000km so far on the mazda with zero issues. I bought my LR4 in Dec 2016 with 165,000km and i installed front maxbrake pads only, I started noticing pulsation on the front rotors this past Nov 2018 after i had done 33,000km on just maxbrakes front pads so i changed the front pads/rotors and rear pads only this past Nov 2018. The front maxbrakes pads i took off the LR had about 50% left. Btw Nov and today with the newly installed brakes on the LR i have done about 4,000km with no issues.

The longest i've seen them run is on a buddy's Toyota Corrolla, I installed maxbrakes on all 4 corners in the summer of 2017, so far he has done over 60,000km cause he uses the car for Uber. He bought a new set of maxbrakes planning to change them before the winter, this was around october last year, when we checked the front pads, they still had about 40% and the rears had about 60% so we postponed changing them till around april this year.

I have installed on a few other cars as well with no issues.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Amazon must’ve had a glitch in their pricing or something but i got the front and rears yellowstuff ebc pads for $153 with shipping. Regularly they should be around $250 give or take. Anyways i installed them with the current rotors i had since they were in really good condition. Brake feel was pretty spongy and no hard bite at first. After 150 miles or so they feel incredibly bitey. Especially when they warm up they stop the truck on a dime. They feel way better than the stock land rover brakes. I know they’d contribute way more dust though due to its semi metallic material, but i didn’t want to sacrifice any braking performance. In the crowded streets of Queens NY, a few inches is the difference between a near miss and a pretty hefty lawsuit. I’d rather clean the wheels more often and have a little squel than to sacrifice a few inches or maybe feets of brake stopping performance. Just my opinion of course. I’m sure ceramics are adequate for most.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a set of the Max Brake Elite Rotors and their best pads. $215 shipped to my House. I'll report back on how this turns out...

** Edit, they have already called me back to let me know it will actually be $241 shipped. :dontknow:
how have they held up after a few months? i went oem on my last brake job and the dust is driving me insane. i cant feel the difference in pedal so im going back to ceramics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99