Anyone using Redline 0W20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2015 LR4 with about 40k miles. I’ve always liked Redline oils and plan to do my own oil changes with this LR4.

I know the manual stats 0W20 Castrol professional but it’s actually more expensive than Redline 0W20.

I’ve also read that a lot of you, after warranty, just throw in Mobil 1 extended 5W20. Reason going to 5W20 vs sticking with 0W20?

Anyways the HTHS of Redline 0W20 is 2.9 were most 0W20’s are around 2.6, thus making redline a thick W20 for sure. Not sure if that’s an issue in these SCV6’s or not? I live in Phoenix area sooo the heat is maybe something to think about?

I plan to change oil ever 7500 miles with a Mityvac.

Also and recommendations on the best filter? Seems like ALL the filters I’ve found are China made and look very very similar.

thanks in advance all

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5W20 is the old spec, 0W20 is the updated spec. That and brand of oil are basically a religious preference round these parts. I think the one thing Everyone agrees on is to change sooner rather than later. I would treat 7500 miles as an absolute maximum.

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Phoenix LR4 owner. I’ve been running Mobil 1 5W-20 in my ‘13 (V8)

I know the dealer in Scottsdale uses Pennzoil 0W-20 on everything. They don’t even use Castrol anymore. Honestly I’m sure most premium brand full synthetics will be fine, but it’s so hard to know for sure.

Anyways, Mobil 1 for 45k miles with 0 problems. I change every 7500 miles and will start changing at a lower interval.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the Land Rover oil filters are made in China. Most either use the Land Rover filters or Mahle (which makes the Land Rover filters).

The prices between those two fluctuate on Amazon so at any given time one may be cheaper than the other, then they flip.

5w 20 is the spec most still use. 0w 20 was seen as Land Rover's attempt to try to eke out another fraction of a MPG.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5W20 is the old spec, 0W20 is the updated spec. That and brand of oil are basically a religious preference round these parts. I think the one thing Everyone agrees on is to change sooner rather than later. I would treat 7500 miles as an absolute maximum.

thanks Dirty

What brand of oil do you run?

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow Phoenix LR4 owner. I’ve been running Mobil 1 5W-20 in my ‘13 (V8)

I know the dealer in Scottsdale uses Pennzoil 0W-20 on everything. They don’t even use Castrol anymore. Honestly I’m sure most premium brand full synthetics will be fine, but it’s so hard to know for sure.

Anyways, Mobil 1 for 45k miles with 0 problems. I change every 7500 miles and will start changing at a lower interval.

I live on the east side of the valley. Are you a member of AZLR club?

I was wondering about 0W20 oil in our high high temps. Never ran this low of weight in an oil.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even the Land Rover oil filters are made in China. Most either use the Land Rover filters or Mahle (which makes the Land Rover filters).

The prices between those two fluctuate on Amazon so at any given time one may be cheaper than the other, then they flip.

5w 20 is the spec most still use. 0w 20 was seen as Land Rover's attempt to try to eke out another fraction of a MPG.

Ever try the Premium Guard filters with the yellow film instead of white like others?

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Guar...1------------&vehicleName=2015+Land+Rover+LR4

Or the ACDelco?

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-PF65...1------------&vehicleName=2015+Land+Rover+LR4

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live on the east side of the valley. Are you a member of AZLR club?

I was wondering about 0W20 oil in our high high temps. Never ran this low of weight in an oil.

https://www.azlro.org/ These guys? No. Are you? I just don't feel the need to pay dues to off road.

I'm in the West Valley. Also afraid to run 0W-20 because of our hot temps. I almost overheated towing my boat from Theodore Roosevelt Lake on a 117 degree day. Was stressful enough.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Dirty

What brand of oil do you run?

Last couple oil changes I’ve been running the liqui moly 0W-20 special Land Rover Blend along with some of their oil additives. This oil meets the same standards the OE Castrol does.

I know it’s completely subjective but I think the motor is running the best it ever has since I switched over. I sent in an oil sample for analysis but I think it got lost because I never heard from blackstone, this reminds me to call them this week.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last couple oil changes I’ve been running the liqui moly 0W-20 special Land Rover Blend along with some of their oil additives. This oil meets the same standards the OE Castrol does.

I know it’s completely subjective but I think the motor is running the best it ever has since I switched over. I sent in an oil sample for analysis but I think it got lost because I never heard from blackstone, this reminds me to call them this week.
This? https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-S...+LR+0W-20+by+LIQUI+MOLY&qid=1610000239&sr=8-1

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99