"Approved Electrical Circuits" or LR "Approved trailer electrical connections"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently put the hitch receiver on the truck for bike rack, etc.

For a couple of reasons I kinda started to look for a cover or something like that for it for days I don't have the bike rack on. Came across this thing:

http://www.pilotautomotive.com/hitch_cover/CR-007A.html

Aside from turning on with the tail lights when the parking or the headlights are turned on, it also serves as an extra brake light. Plus it looks kinda cool and better than empty hitch receiver.

It came with a flat type plug/wire harness that plugs into one of my LR4' towing electrics' sockets (into the flat one thats underneath the round one).

I dont really know anything about towing or towing electrics so I just looked at the two sockets on my car and plugged the light's plug into one of the two that matched its physical attributes.

Worked well, except that sometimes I noticed that when I would turn my indicator on (left or right) before turning, a green trailer icon would flash in the instrument panel sometimes. That lead me to open the manual and on page 60 (MY16) it said that the flashing trailer icon indicates that the turn signal bulbs in the connected trailer are properly functioning, etc. But this green icon flashing is sort of intermittent and it does not shows up every time I use the turn signal.

More importantly I came across this on page 98:

"Connect only approved electrical circuits..." and:
"Land Rover approved trailer electrical connections..."

Is there a list of approved stuff? I mean, am I hurting anything by connecting the above mentioned light/cover to LR4 towing electrics?

I wonder if the truck sees the hitch receiver light/cover as a connected trailer and the system is adjusting certain parameters to compensate for things, sort of like driving on a normal dry pavement with the terrain response set to snow or any other mode vs it being in the "off" position where it should be.

Asking the dealership may just be useless so I thought I threw it out here.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When towing my dads older lund boat on a trailer with standard bulbs, my green trailer light stays on.. its pulling enough power to trip it.

Pulling my Searay on a newer trailer with LED lights, it doesn't pull enough power and the green light never turns on.

I think when it is on, it is more sensitive to sway and will activate the safety features for the anti-sway system. (Which involves the braking system to keep things from getting out of hand).

Other than that, I don't know that it will change anything else. The air suspension still compensates for my 6k+ pound trailer and keeps the back level. The shift points did not seem any different with my dads setup (though his boat is half the weight of mine).

I don't think you are going to hurt anything. Worst case I think you could blow a fuse if you have an electrical short.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM