ARB Fridge - yey!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jhermoso

Just a suggestion, make sure your cabling is not exposed to any damage, and use a good fuse, i had two extensions from the battery one for my Amp and the other for a power inverter not a 1000watt but 400watt and the dangerous part comes here:

I sent my car for a fuel tank replacement (i cracked it dont know how) anyway, the car was delivered to me and at the second day in my garage when i arrived i noticed smoke coming from my seat and it began to increase filling the cabin so i started looking as fast as i could for the source more and more smoke and found a cable that was running red hot under my seat, run took my fire extinguisher i have in the car just in case open the hood and unplugged the battery.

Diagnostic: first the guys that removed the tank removed the carpeting to replace the fuel pump after installing the new tank and put the inverter cable under the rear seat support so when the seat was in place was crushing the cable.

Second thing: apparently the had a problem with it because the fuse i had installed was 15amp and found a 30amp on the fuse case installed way wrong on this connection because the wire was turned into a toaster wire and even in a shor the fuse was not burning the metal wire but meltin the plastic and current was not stopped. oi found the old fuse the guys from the shop left inside the engine compartment burned was the original 15amp installed for the estension...

Always use a fuse with the lowest working amp for your appliance, keep an extinguisher on your car always, and check your fuses after a visit to the shop..

Regards and good luck...

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. What a story. I bet you laugh about that one now that it is done. I might have to look into buying a fire extinguisher for my Rover.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sam, you mean you havent got one? Go and get it right away. Its 12-15$ and it may save you. Or someone else, or help in wildfire a bit.

Juan - yes, i know :) Thats why i am getting seriusly gauged wire, Seeing that it would have to run there. However there is safer way to route wires than under carpet. Under plastic sill bits at the entrance - those secured very good by screws and there is enough space to run wire. I got mine routed to rear like that and then tucked under plastic bits in rear.. Still has to add outlet though.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of people mount them in the rear, where the jump seats would go on a Disco. I have a small one that's in the glove box all the time, and another that gets mounted in the rear cargo area.

Mount it somewhere secure and below the level of your headrest, so you don't get hit by a 25-pound projectile in the event of an .

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case - i have plywood flooring in rear and there is angled plywood section that makes map/book pocket (space between plywood vertical section and body trim ). So bracket for extinguisher is bolted onto that pocket from other side. All secured & etc.

Mine is usual "house" model, which is about same size as most of european fire extinguishers for cars (used to be requirement when i was kid - extinguisher, first aid kit, emergency triangle sign had to be in car or it wouldnt pass inspection)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. now i got power lined up, 30A protected dedicated line. Thanks folkz.

But here is the deal - damn thing wont work. Lines seems to be, seeing that i can power up lightforce light of it (i got testing thingy that plugs into power outlet). But fridge seems to ignore me completely. It cranks up from regular power ok, but wont work of 12V.. so much for plans of having cold drinks and sandwitches today on trail.. :(

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not yet :( Will pick one up after getting from job.. Got to deliver project by Wednesday and of course they delivered test data in beginning of this week - there goes my plan to wheel today.. Hope will get out on evening.

D

discomike

Sergie,
have you tested the inline thermal fuse in the power cord???
Mike J.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72