As Predicted. (Defender news)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

defender_verde

Reaction score
And rumored that the P400e (PHEV) may hit the US market in MY2023, so you can drive less than 30 miles on e, thereafter you have a four-banger (no offense). It will be mind-boggling the number of Defender 'variants' created in three (short) model years. A Defender for every appetite, if not every wallet.
Going to stick with my LR4 while watching the dust settle a bit.

I've spent a lot of time in the P400e full sized RR and it is great. The V8 Defender will be a cool G Killer, and given how expensive the new V8 Jeep, Raptor, and TRX are, the V8 Defender ain't toooo far ahead. Seems like they're packaging it with most of the stuff standard too. Sure, the big wheels aren't the steelies I'd go for but if you're spending most of your time on the road it ain't bad!

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! It’s no LR4 but it’s certainly a step in the right direction for Land Rover. The market is hot right now for high HP off roaders despite the 90K price. And if you slap a pair of 32 1/2 inch All-terrain tires on the 20 inch alloys I’m pretty confident it would be pretty damn good off road too. These cars cease to amaze me with their impressive off-road capability with regular road tires. Now again like I said, it’s no LR4 and sadly I don’t think there will ever be a true replacement for the LR4. I think often people look at the defender as the replacement of the LR4 and get bogged down in the fact that it isn’t the car the D5 should’ve been. I try not to beat down on cars too much that I haven’t driven. When I drive my LR4, it feels like I’m driving something special. When I drove the D5 I can’t say it really felt special, because it felt like a Range Rover, way too disconnected from the road. But I think the defender V8 will feel special, which is why, personally, I’m excited to drive it. If it drives as special as the exhaust note sounds then I’d strongly consider giving it a second opinion but I guess we won’t know until 2022.

I've spent a lot of time in the P400e full sized RR and it is great. The V8 Defender will be a cool G Killer, and given how expensive the new V8 Jeep, Raptor, and TRX are, the V8 Defender ain't toooo far ahead. Seems like they're packaging it with most of the stuff standard too. Sure, the big wheels aren't the steelies I'd go for but if you're spending most of your time on the road it ain't bad!

defender_verde

Reaction score
I agree! It’s no LR4 but it’s certainly a step in the right direction for Land Rover. The market is hot right now for high HP off roaders despite the 90K price. And if you slap a pair of 32 1/2 inch All-terrain tires on the 20 inch alloys I’m pretty confident it would be pretty damn good off road too. These cars cease to amaze me with their impressive off-road capability with regular road tires. Now again like I said, it’s no LR4 and sadly I don’t think there will ever be a true replacement for the LR4. I think often people look at the defender as the replacement of the LR4 and get bogged down in the fact that it isn’t the car the D5 should’ve been. I try not to beat down on cars too much that I haven’t driven. When I drive my LR4, it feels like I’m driving something special. When I drove the D5 I can’t say it really felt special, because it felt like a Range Rover, way too disconnected from the road. But I think the defender V8 will feel special, which is why, personally, I’m excited to drive it. If it drives as special as the exhaust note sounds then I’d strongly consider giving it a second opinion but I guess we won’t know until 2022.

I don't understand the "Defender is just what the Disco 5 should've been debate". The LR4 is relatively utilitarian but ultimately a luxury vehicle. People just forget that Land Rover products used to be dated when they came out, hence the vehicles felt more utilitarian than they really were meant to be. The LR4 interior was outdated for most of its production run, although did feel distinct from the Range Rover line. The D5 does indeed feel like a narrow, more upright Range Rover, which isn't bad, but not really what many of us are after. I've driven one in pretty tough off-road conditions and it was probably more capable than my LR4 with all the updated off-road tech. The new Defender is actually purpose built, with cloth seats, plastic floors, etc. A lot more go than show. And yes, even on street tires, Land Rovers are damn impressive. If you go to any of their experience centers, they will have the trucks running all seasons just to demonstrate that you can drive off the dealership lot and onto a mountain.

But what I really hear with the announcement of the V8 Defender is that my 4 or 6 cylinder used Defender will (ideally) be less expensive lol.

Mari Gianati

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oops! I hit sent without my comment. I’m not a boy but I grew up in Europe (in the Alps), Defenders galore. My father was a pro race driver. My BIL a pro rally racer. We love driving. Putting aside capabilities, which are truly remarkable, and made me ALMOST, preorder at my local dealership, I just can’t drive a car that looks like an Explorer or a Japanese car.
Mercedes has an audience with deep pockets for its G class; LR should know some of us love the Defender for its utilitarian looks just as well.

dlonesty

Reaction score
We all need to write LR awn email asking for a RETRO LR4 to be made as off road as Defender but with luxury inside and a split tail gate, better tire, off road rack like frontrunner, etc...fill in your ideas and lets do it. I want a new LR4 Just like my 2011 with a few other embellishments...and YOU?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all need to write LR awn email asking for a RETRO LR4 to be made as off road as Defender but with luxury inside and a split tail gate, better tire, off road rack like frontrunner, etc...fill in your ideas and lets do it. I want a new LR4 Just like my 2011 with a few other embellishments...and YOU?
What I cannot figure out is how the new Defender got smaller on the inside relative to the 3/4 yet a pinch bigger on the outside?

I can get larger stuff thru the rear hatch of my 3 than I could a circa 2005 or even current Tahoe. With the flat floor of the 3/4 and the seven seats, one could also get more stuff inside.
With the new Defender, the floor is not quite flat with the seats down and the interior width, I do not know what happened, but for certain it is not the fault of the Slovakians who build the Defender.

In other words, yes, bring the UK built D4 Commercial back as an off road vehicle plus something practical that the European fire, security and utilities would purchase.

There would probably even be a market for a luxo interior with the Jag V8 in the States; for Australia, the diesel and luxo interior.

Alternatively LR can buy the Grenadier guys and we can have French made Land Rovers with BMW engines.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-n...nadier-an-old-school-4x4-off-roader-for-2020/

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I want the LR4 cabin mounted on the Defender chassis. Still love the LR4 interior, tall windows, split tailgate, etc. But put it on the Defender chassis with better handling & agility plus the P400 engine. Include the fast Pivi Pro infotainment system and more capable terrain response system too.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I cannot figure out is how the new Defender got smaller on the inside relative to the 3/4 yet a pinch bigger on the outside?
I think one reason is that they include the rear mount spare in the dimensions. So it is longer than the lr4 but nothing usable in that increase in length.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one reason is that they include the rear mount spare in the dimensions. So it is longer than the lr4 but nothing usable in that increase in length.

Exactly. I'll probably swap out my 110 for a 130 for just that reason. Anyone seriously interested in a 130 should watch for when the LR order system adds the 130 model. 2021 Defender orders are already closed. They started taking 2022 orders March 1st. Rumor is that 2023 orders could begin by the end of the year. That worldwide chip shortage is killing the auto industry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV