At Long Last... Modern head unit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blueaz

Reaction score
i just went through this on my 07 HSE. it ended up costing me $10k to get all new stuff into the truck and the OEM head unit needed to be retained so its sitting in my glovebox. If LR4 is anything like the RR id say stay away.
I am in the same boat, more or less. I have fault codes telling me that there is a break in the MOST fiber optic ring. Everything in the audio/infotainment system cycles on & off every 5 to 10 seconds like it is constantly re-booting. It's been to the dealer twice with a quote to fix of $5500, saying I need a new head unit (or main audio module) that has to be programmed to the vehicle. I have installed 3 used head units to no avail. I just received some advice via DiscoWeb to check the satellite radio module in the rear passenger compartment (I had no idea this was back there) and I'll also be checking my amp under the passenger seat. I was advised to buy a jumper connection & cable on Amazon ($8.99) that you can plug into close the MOST ring loop for any particular component, effectively telling you if that component is bad.

Here's the MOST fiber optic ring jumper:

https://www.amazon.com/Mellbree-Con...-6-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, more or less. I have fault codes telling me that there is a break in the MOST fiber optic ring. Everything in the audio/infotainment system cycles on & off every 5 to 10 seconds like it is constantly re-booting. It's been to the dealer twice with a quote to fix of $5500, saying I need a new head unit (or main audio module) that has to be programmed to the vehicle. I have installed 3 used head units to no avail. I just received some advice via DiscoWeb to check the satellite radio module in the rear passenger compartment (I had no idea this was back there) and I'll also be checking my amp under the passenger seat. I was advised to buy a jumper connection & cable on Amazon ($8.99) that you can plug into close the MOST ring loop for any particular component, effectively telling you if that component is bad.

Here's the MOST fiber optic ring jumper:

https://www.amazon.com/Mellbree-Con...-6-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&psc=1
you mean you have installed 3 oem head units or 3 different aftermarket ones?

Blueaz

Reaction score
3 different, used, OEM units from salvage companies. First one turned out to be from a LR2 (a bit shady...advertised wrongly), the second was from a 2012 LR4, and the third was from an exact match 2013 LR4 with LUX package. I also bought and installed the 2013's nav unit (the screen unit) and the top control knob panel which I heard frequently goes bad. No change so I'm confident it's not these components, maybe it's in the actual fiber optic wiring, or it could be the amp or satellite module. If investigating the amp & satellite module and trying the jumper cable don't work, I'll just go to an aftermarket shop and replace everything but the speakers with aftermarket. I've been hesitant to try one of these aftermarket apple carplay things because I'm not confident that it will work. I envision installing the aftermarket carplay device and ending up with the same intermittent on & off issue. All in all, it's incredibly pathetic that I have to use a little bluetooth speaker connected to my phone in my top of the line LR4 with the best sound system I've ever had in a vehicle (including DVD screens for the kids!).

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 different, used, OEM units from salvage companies. First one turned out to be from a LR2 (a bit shady...advertised wrongly), the second was from a 2012 LR4, and the third was from an exact match 2013 LR4 with LUX package. I also bought and installed the 2013's nav unit (the screen unit) and the top control knob panel which I heard frequently goes bad. No change so I'm confident it's not these components, maybe it's in the actual fiber optic wiring, or it could be the amp or satellite module. If investigating the amp & satellite module and trying the jumper cable don't work, I'll just go to an aftermarket shop and replace everything but the speakers with aftermarket. I've been hesitant to try one of these aftermarket apple carplay things because I'm not confident that it will work. I envision installing the aftermarket carplay device and ending up with the same intermittent on & off issue. All in all, it's incredibly pathetic that I have to use a little bluetooth speaker connected to my phone in my top of the line LR4 with the best sound system I've ever had in a vehicle (including DVD screens for the kids!).
oh man what a royal PIA

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cow, I’d def just to got a custom audio shop to replace whatever is needed to have a good setup. Specially since you have the dvd config too.

Ok my end I think im going to go with one of the CarPlay modules and test it out this summer. For $400-$500 bucks I think it’s worth the gamble given the horrid nav / head unit system. Feels like being a 90s teen again and riding in an old car with radio and 8 track tech.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I finally figured out how to program the radio on my original head unit. I had one channel from the previous owner that I listened to (classic rock) but was never able to figure out how to save the other preset stations that I wanted to select. Turns out it was pretty easy once I realized how it works. Go down a level to manual tuning. Scan for a station you like. Go back up a level and hold down the preset button until it mutes and then saves the station and starts playing. Repeat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72