At Long Last... Modern head unit!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New series from PowerfulUK where they will install two different options.

I know a lot of people don't like the "iPad stuck to the dash" aesthetic, but I don't mind it.

I’d be ok with a bigger screen, but I want to use the same “stock” brain. I don’t want to deal with some cheap ass android head unit. So far I’m happy with the alibaba CarPlay thing.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install of the smaller unit:

First operation:

Seems like it has a lot of issues to work through. I'm not sure if you have to run the audio through the aux jack. If so, that's not good. There also seems to be a lot of software problems and things they still need to work out. That said, at least as far as software goes, if you are just using carplay it seems to work fine. It's accessing the stock screen and functions where it seems to fall flat.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am interested in these but yes they seem clunky so far. I’m thinking the OPs solution might be the best. I’m not sure I need the actually 4x4i these days. I have the screens in the headrest but never use them really.

My only thing is damn that clock looks terrible up top by itself. The tablet version here actually looks better in form factor than that. And it’s also in line of sight.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gives me hope is that I like the look of the hardware, so thinking the software could potentially be updated. Watching the videos, the PowerfulUK guy seems to have a direct line to the manufacturer, so maybe his feedback will get things going.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered all their facelift headlight parts today. They seem like a decent company.

AdventureTim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gives me hope is that I like the look of the hardware, so thinking the software could potentially be updated. Watching the videos, the PowerfulUK guy seems to have a direct line to the manufacturer, so maybe his feedback will get things going.
Really hoping they figure it out!

I have the Naviplus CarPlay integration with the factory screen. On the MY14+ facelift it does a decent job, but I'd love a larger screen.

There are a bunch (10+) of different sellers on AliBaba selling a very similar unit to the PowerfulUK one, but the internals tend to vary between them. I'm particularly interested in the ones that run a higher resolution screen than the factory setup, which I believe is 800x480 -- most of the ones on AliBaba are the same, just physically larger than the factory screen, but there are a couple that claim to be 1024x600. I've only seen a couple that include the additional circuit board that PowerfulUK demonstrated -- in theory, this would give you the best of both worlds. It seems to have a video encoder to integrate the factory video signal and a connection to the factory touch digitiser, but the software that powers it is pretty buggy.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this is interesting. The website for NT Audio (the maker of the tablet-style used by PowerfulUK) states that for the 2010-2011 version, touch is not supported for the factory functions. That disclaimer isn't on the version for 2012-16. https://ntaudios.com/brands-caterory/range-rover-jaguar.html

Also @AdventureTim, this claims to be 1920x800.

No idea if the touchscreen works when displaying the factory screen on that version.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the touch worked, not sure I like the bootyfab method of having to plug the audio output into the aux. Not sure if that changes on the 2012+.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the touch worked, not sure I like the bootyfab method of having to plug the audio output into the aux. Not sure if that changes on the 2012+.
I have my CarPlay thing plugged in that way on my 2013. its.. fine. I pulled the jack out of the inside of the center console though and have it hooked up all underneath it, so you can't see the plug.

I like this big screen solution better than what I have but I need that touch to work over the factory settings, and it would be nice to have the factory GPS back as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA