Attaching a flag for OHV area use...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I need to put a 6 foot flag (or something like that) on truck to drive on the beach. Any suggestions as to how to mount one so that I can just take it off when I'm done?

-tia.

P.S. I'd rather not tape it on. ;-)

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glue?

Hahaha - totally joking. What about some sort of mount that is held in place when you shut the back tail gate or one of the side doors (similar to the sports team flags that people put on their doors/windows of their cars).

Are you willing to drill? The rear bumper cover would be a good spot since you don't have to worry about rust, etc.

-Rich

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glue?

Hahaha - totally joking. What about some sort of mount that is held in place when you shut the back tail gate or one of the side doors (similar to the sports team flags that people put on their doors/windows of their cars).

Are you willing to drill? The rear bumper cover would be a good spot since you don't have to worry about rust, etc.

-Rich

Well I'm really not interested in drilling into the car but I might see about getting some kind of mount that closes on the tailgate or a rear window or something.

Michael99b

Reaction score
How about using a suction cup with a dowl rod through it similar to a ski flag for a boat? You can buy a flag with the suction cup on it at any boat shop and just buy a 6 foot dowl to replace the shorter one that comes with the flag. You can probably reuse the flag on the new dowl as well. These stick well on a boat windshield or fiberglass side...even when blasting through choppy water at 25 mph. I doubt you'll be driving that fast on the beach, and it will likely mount well to the rear side glass or rear window. You might even want to buy 2 of them so you can slide the dowl through both suction cups for added stability. Here is a link to one for $7.99. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/pro...ter_Ski_Flag&str=ski flag&merchID=1008&r=view

Last edited:

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really great idea. I might just go see about that. It has all the benefits of the flag but it's totally temporary.

I am a little concerned that, with a flag of that length, it won't stay on.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of roof racks that work on suction cups - they claim to hold up to 80lbs at highway speeds - I'm sure this sort of tech would do the trick, assuming that the flag pole itself is relatively flexible (thus relieveing some of the movement stresses).

JThiessen

Reaction score
Probably the sturdiest way would be to put a reciever hitch on, and mod a reciever and flag pole.

I dont think suction cups will stay on, depending on how fast you intend to run.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of roof racks that work on suction cups - they claim to hold up to 80lbs at highway speeds - I'm sure this sort of tech would do the trick, assuming that the flag pole itself is relatively flexible (thus relieveing some of the movement stresses).

Yeah, those might work great, but I don't think that I'd be comfortable with it. I've never seen a suction cup that didn't fail over time.

Michael99b

Reaction score
The suction cup stuck on the boat glass has never failed, even at 25 mph. If this bothers you though, you might try the clamp on style boat flag and clamp it to your roof rack. What is the rule for your flag? You mentioned it must be six feet long. Is that measured from the highest point of the vehicle or from somewhere else?

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suction cup stuck on the boat glass has never failed, even at 25 mph. If this bothers you though, you might try the clamp on style boat flag and clamp it to your roof rack. What is the rule for your flag? You mentioned it must be six feet long. Is that measured from the highest point of the vehicle or from somewhere else?

I don't actually have a rack on the truck. I think that the rule says that the flag has to be 9 feet off of the ground. That means that I need to run about a three foot flag it I mount the holder on the top of the tailgate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink