Buying this 2015 LR4 Lux Pkg w/ HD Pkg, but am freaking out about the RUST! Should I walk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I would not worry about that.

There is a UTube video discussing rust treatments - you can look up, the highest rated was Por-15.

It's expensive, get a quart, it covers like crazy, and will be more than you need.

I used it on my daughters LR4 last summer and will evaluate after it returns from University next month.

But I was super impressed with it at installation - just be sure you are outside or super well ventilated - I have not used anything this solvent based in a very long time.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Por-15 added to my Amazon wish list and this is a project I was planning for the summer! I'll be curious how your daughters LR4 looks!

jerrygmyers

Reaction score
This car has 70k miles and is in perfect shape inside and out, HOWEVER, I'm worried about what I'm seeing underneath! This will be my first Land Rover, and YES I've done the research and understand the maintenance headaches that could come along with keeping it alive. My understanding was that these headaches impact LR4s without rust, so what am I getting myself into when it comes to this example here, which has rust seemingly left and right?

Is the rust on this example not that big of a deal (something you would see on most LR4s these days) and something that can be easily treated? Or do you see this level of rust as a BIG RED FLAG, a purchase I should walk away from and keep looking for the right LR4? I'm sending the car in for PPI tomorrow. Would also appreciate it if you shared any specific things I should ask the mechanic to inspect. :)

I appreciate your feedback/support/guidance!!

View attachment 23177View attachment 23178View attachment 23179View attachment 23180View attachment 23182

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I will report back and provide a few details when we get it home - mid May.

I have seen reports on-line to be very sure to clean the channel and lid until they are immaculately clean, otherwise the can ain't never coming open ever again. After using this Por-15 I can believe it. I hope I cleaned mine well enough!

I used their recommended pre-cleaner, not really sure it made much difference.

I suggest you track down that UTube video...

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updating my comments from above.

It's now Aug 2023 and I have completed a 1-year inspection.

I used POR-15 on the 2016 on some light rust patches in Aug 2022, following their procedures - i.e. using the POR pre-wash followed by 2 coats of POR-15.

It's pretty much impossible to get meaningful photos, especially since I do not have any "before" photos.
So no photos.

At 1-year, which included an 1,800 mile cross country drive and a winter in Upstate NY, I am very happy with what I see.
The POR-15 appears by eye and touch to be in exactly the same condition as when it was applied - except it's not perfectly clean of course...

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updating my comments from above.

It's now Aug 2023 and I have completed a 1-year inspection.

I used POR-15 on the 2016 on some light rust patches in Aug 2022, following their procedures - i.e. using the POR pre-wash followed by 2 coats of POR-15.

It's pretty much impossible to get meaningful photos, especially since I do not have any "before" photos.
So no photos.

At 1-year, which included an 1,800 mile cross country drive and a winter in Upstate NY, I am very happy with what I see.
The POR-15 appears by eye and touch to be in exactly the same condition as when it was applied - except it's not perfectly clean of course...
Thanks for the update, good to hear.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, that looks very similar (rust) to the 2015 LUX/HD Pkg we bought back in late 2019. Not an issue....the worst part of ours are all of the fasteners on the running boards!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The running boards are hot garbage. Under the plastic covers there is likely little to no metal left.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV