Be honest! What's the deepest snow you've driven in with your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allegro

Reaction score
In dry snow with Hakkapeliittas on my 2012, the upper limit is way out there... I'm routinely setting tracks for others in the neighborhood and up in hills.

However, we get some slush out here from rain on snow, and I find those conditions really tricky for any car and especially the LR4. When there's not much traction to be had, the weight of the LR4 seems to cross over a threshold into being a liability. I have a Honda Element on the same tires, and it will sometimes do better than the LR4 in these conditions (in conditions where clearance isn't a factor). 99% of the time though, the LR4 is an absolute tank out there and is always the first vehicle out when the snow is coming down!

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a compound? lol. Beautiful country.

My only complaint wrt the LR4 in winter is that it sometimes feels a little unstable as it's track is slightly narrower which causes it to climb the sides if snow ruts have developed. Otherwise it is a tank.
LOL. no, just a small house but a beautiful beach and dock. As I tell the kids, we aren't here to hang out in the house!

Waterboy-787

Reaction score
Slightly different experience from me in 2-3 ft snow. As I pushed through the snow it packed up under the chassis, in response the suspension went into extended mode but snow kept building till wheels lost traction. Had to dig out from under the vehicle which was no fun. If you need to push through a snow field lock suspension in access height, ploughing on till you loose traction then raise vehicle and back up to take a second run. Repeat. (Technique from the old Citroen tricks!)

sonicpix

Reaction score
My daughter and her bf used my LR3 to go to a cabin they own close to Algonquin Park. They posted a video on their YouTube channel. They struggled in maybe 12 inches but it had a slick base. I have Nokians WGR 4 or something like that. And i agree with others.....if the road is slick then the wait can go against it. But a recent storm we had and I had no problem on the roads

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will be fine

video review: 8 minutes of excruciatingly painful bloviation that I will never get back. About two minutes of actual interest.

Recommendation: Go to 6 minute mark, leave at 8 minute mark for those interested in viewing it

Scanachi

Reaction score
I didn’t measure it, but it was 20” or so.

My Discovery II handled it without any issues. She always does.

Phil M

Reaction score
I got to play with my LR3 wearing Hakkapeliittas back in 2015 in nearly 3' of powder. It was pretty fluffy, but I went searching for unplowed parking lots to play in. I found one with a snowbank blocking it taller than my hood. The first attempt to push through failed (normal height). The second attempt with more speed made it through and into the snow! ...about 20' before I couldn't go anymore. I raised up the suspension and was able to rock it out of the parking lot to the plowed road. I also took this picture, which now I'm angry I didn't take any more pictures while it was waist deep! You can see the snow the front of my LR3 pushed out of the way though.

Less snow than that, on paved roads, just go slowly, wear good tires, and you shouldn't have a problem. Tires, compressing snow between themselves and pavement do pretty well. If you get too much snow packed under the truck, you'll have less weight compressing the snow under the tires.

Be safe! And have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_20150127_181928.jpg
    IMG_20150127_181928.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 55

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to play with my LR3 wearing Hakkapeliittas back in 2015 in nearly 3' of powder. It was pretty fluffy, but I went searching for unplowed parking lots to play in. I found one with a snowbank blocking it taller than my hood. The first attempt to push through failed (normal height). The second attempt with more speed made it through and into the snow! ...about 20' before I couldn't go anymore. I raised up the suspension and was able to rock it out of the parking lot to the plowed road. I also took this picture, which now I'm angry I didn't take any more pictures while it was waist deep! You can see the snow the front of my LR3 pushed out of the way though.

Less snow than that, on paved roads, just go slowly, wear good tires, and you shouldn't have a problem. Tires, compressing snow between themselves and pavement do pretty well. If you get too much snow packed under the truck, you'll have less weight compressing the snow under the tires.

Be safe! And have fun!
Holy crap!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72