Best way to attach winch to stock battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other vehicles I’ve had with a winch either had a PTO or had a battery with both top post and side terminals, making it pretty easy.

Looking at this battery, it doesn’t look clear what might be the best way to get a high-current connection to the positive and negative posts. I’m curious what others have done?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the negative, can you not just ground to the chassis?
Generally regarded as poor form. The currents here are high enough that the conductivity of steel and the joints between parts of the chassis may cause problems.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is discussed somewhere, though I Don't have it handy. The consensus was negative to the battery ground post behind the fuse box. Someone posted the Land Rover OE instructions for wiring too, and they show grounding in that manner. And positive to the battery pos. That's how I've wired my Superwinch. With the right extensions and flexibility, you can reach the ground post back in there. I used some electrical tape to hold the acorn nut so I wouldn't lose it. Great success.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s how I have mine, if this is what you’re after.
206ADFB4-7B25-45E4-9633-298B5E7B9B37.jpeg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I did exactly what @CRYA did on the positive side. The negative is grounded at the other end of the BMS cable on the chassis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA