Bike Racks!!! Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you’re planning to ride solo all the time, I would not recommend the single bike rack. I believe the single rack is not designed for add-ons. So you will be stuck with a single rack.

You will need the 2 bike rack to add-on an additional 1 bike or 2 bike rack. If you’re going for the 2+2 system, get their reinforced rack which offered additional strength.

You can add onto the single bike rack. It even says so on their website.

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/quik-rack-single/

I believe you can only add enough for 2 bikes, however. So if you start with a single rack, you are limited to carrying 3 total bikes. If you start with a double rack, you can carry 4 bikes. Etc.

On mine, I use the standard Land Rover hitch. When I remove the bike rack, I actually just remove the hitch and carry away the bike rack and hitch as one unit ( I don't ever tow anything).

Preetsarai

Reaction score
Sweet and clean. In addition to being functional and always ready, it actually looks really good on the back of an LR4.

Here's a more recent pic with the LR logo on the left and Discovery decal on the right to make it look for official ;-)

lr4.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you enjoy blocking access to the rear cargo area, the solution is simple but not cheap. With 4 bikes it’s goimg to especially suck.

For 2-3 light and snug fitting road bikes you can use a tire mounted RS k like you’ve seen from Thule and others. For big downhill bikes or multiple lighter but still bulky Mtn bikes, the tray style as mentioned above is best OR for vans a vertical front wheel mount hanger rack.

If you had 4 DH bikes, I’d be hesitant, but 4 20-24lb trail bikes probably fine esp if lightest at the farthest out position.

I almost always just use mine as a 2-3 bike holder though. Swing arm tire carrier with custom receiver mount:

367F0D87-F6FE-4B34-B1BC-36687E4772C8.jpeg
E57CA4BB-F436-4049-8B6B-19A2E7C82A79.jpeg

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Kuat base (black) and the add-on. In 2-bike mode its pretty small, but can easily add the other part for 4 bikes. I know people with the 1up also and they are nice, but seem a bit more fidgety to put a bike onto. They are very secure though. I like that the kuat makes the front wheel slightly lower and alternates so the handlebars dont hit. It works with kids bikes without moving brackets around. I think Kuat and 1up are both top end, its just kindof a matter of taste. 1up is too industrial looking for me, i like it black.

I don't have a photo of it, but I do have a photo of the bike I just picked up on monday.

2018 Trek Domane SLR project one. with ****** Pro 3 carbon wheels.

DSC_2571-4K.jpg

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Kuat base (black) and the add-on. In 2-bike mode its pretty small, but can easily add the other part for 4 bikes. I know people with the 1up also and they are nice, but seem a bit more fidgety to put a bike onto. They are very secure though. I like that the kuat makes the front wheel slightly lower and alternates so the handlebars dont hit. It works with kids bikes without moving brackets around. I think Kuat and 1up are both top end, its just kindof a matter of taste. 1up is too industrial looking for me, i like it black.
Those are nice looking racks also! It's nice to have options.

I agree that the 1UP racks are industrial looking. I really didn't like them when I first saw them, but everyone who owned them raved. Since they make one in black now, the industrial cut goes nice with my blacked out wheels, vents and rack. ;) That's how I'll justify it anyway...

Congrats on the new ride!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how I'll justify it anyway...

C'mon Todd-- "Proceed to Checkout"!!

I just wish it would stop raining here in the DMV. I know I could be ******** and go out in this slop but I'm more into the casual comfort rides. Shame that the big 20-mile DC Bike Ride through closed streets will be wet this weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut