Blown head gasket

Discussion in 'LR4' started by djmalachi, Jul 16, 2019.

1. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

Read instructions CAREFULLY on any bottles of "head gasket sealer". Some require the system to be drained and flushed of all anti-freeze, and have the sealant added to the system with only water... then run to operating temp, then drain, and refill with antifreeze mix. Some of the K&W products require this.

2. Bogwhoppit

Bogwhoppit Full Access Member

I would read the amazon reviews of that head gasket sealer before dumping a bottle into my coolant. Its a temporary fix that might F other things up.

gsxr likes this.
  3. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

Yes - definitely do your homework first. And remember that some people are trying to fix issues that very obviously cannot be cured with something in a bottle (i.e., unrealistic expectations).

Side note - if there are concerns about the sealant not mixing well, partially drain the system, pre-mix in water or 50/50, and pour the pre-mixed sealant. Never done a cooling system drain/refill on the LR4 specifically so I'm not sure if there's anything unique to be aware of on the LR4.

:2in1:

Bogwhoppit likes this.
  4. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Full Access Member

5. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Full Access Member

No, a lot more appreciation of stable strong cast iron. Still running a 1964 cast iron block and heads on a stroked 427 Ford FE engine out to 496 cu/in EFI build of 23 years ago running down the strip once in a while. That would be 8,140 litres of fun Hp and Tq for those that only know of liter displacements vs cu/in.Long live the "antique" push rod 95 D1.....~~=o&o>......

6. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

WOW - LR4 engines are almost 3X more expensive than LR3s. Must be supply/demand forces.

7. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

There are quite a few used V8 engines available from various salvage yards in the $6k-$8k range if you search car-part.com. And a few optimistic sellers asking $9k-$10k for used engines.

There are a handful priced at $12k but those are listed as "reman engine".

8. djmalachi

djmalachi Member

Just wanted to post a quick update for everyone. The Blue Devil slightly improved the situation but didn't solve it. It is a sad day indeed - I've been told by several mechanics a head gasket replacement itself is going to run $5-8k and that it's a 50/50 shot if it'd even be successful. The used engine prices above seem about right from what I can tell, but who wants a used engine from salvo when it's likely blown as well. I've been told $14-16k for a solid replacement.

Enjoy your LR4 while it lasts everyone.

Can't help but think LR did this on purpose (aluminum block, plastic coolant parts) so that they can close this chapter on the "LR3/LR4" series. The Disco is dead as far as I'm concerned. This will be my third and final one.

Here's hoping the Defender isn't a pile of garbage.

9. morrisdl

morrisdl Full Access Member

I understand the frustration, but AL and plastic is ubiquitous across the board for all manufactures. Cheap and light seem to be opposites of durable.

10. djmalachi

djmalachi Member

"Cheap and light" is not what made me fall in love with Discos and as you said, is the opposite of what LR should be about. :-(