Bolt-on Roof Racks for LR4 Without Rails?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrDan

Reaction score
I have the Front Runner rack on my 2014 LR4. It bolts to the factory mounting holes. The instructions indicated that the gasket strip should be trimmed, but that is not needed. You only need to remove the plastic/rubber bolt hole filler insets to bolt the rack on. I chose the short version so the sun roof was open. I am quite pleased with the rack function and quality. I added a couple of M8 bolts to mount my old Thule ski box to the rack for winter toys and wet kayak stuff in the summer. It just takes a few minutes to mount or remove the box and it keeps the wet things out of the car.

JWLR4

Reaction score
I have the Front Runner rack on my 2014 LR4. It bolts to the factory mounting holes. The instructions indicated that the gasket strip should be trimmed, but that is not needed. You only need to remove the plastic/rubber bolt hole filler insets to bolt the rack on. I chose the short version so the sun roof was open. I am quite pleased with the rack function and quality. I added a couple of M8 bolts to mount my old Thule ski box to the rack for winter toys and wet kayak stuff in the summer. It just takes a few minutes to mount or remove the box and it keeps the wet things out of the car.
Is it the slimline?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Voyager low profile rack. I've had mine for a long time and it's been great. No rust issues on it. It bolts straight into the roof in the 8 locations with standoffs. No rails.

i-qxtn8fD-X3.jpg

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. I have run the cheap, Chinesium short rails via ebay under my Prospeed rack for years without issue.

Wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory as the OE's.

Kristina

Reaction score
The Terrafirma rack can be installed without rails. I was just emailing with them about it.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. I have run the cheap, Chinesium short rails via ebay under my Prospeed rack for years without issue.

Wouldn't be surprised if they came out of the same factory as the OE's.

I was a sucker and bought one of those off eBay. The listing said something about it being "genuine OEM," but when I received it it didn't say Land Rover anywhere.

When I emailed with the seller, though, he was adamant that they were the same rails that Land Rover uses.

The quality seems fine to me. It's entirely conceivable Land Rover sources them from China and marks them up, and that these are from the same supplier.

That said, I have yet to install them.

sandythedisco

Reaction score
I just ordered the Rhino rack backbone/pioneer rack (79x49). It was in stock, ready to ship and did not need short rails. I will post Picts of the install once I get it going. I have Rhino rack for my A4 avant and was always impressed with the build quality vs Thule or Yakima. Only issue is the big a** logo - but that’s fixable.

Austin Bonnema

Reaction score
I have the 3/4 Slimline 2 on, it is great! When removing the plugs that keep the factory rail in place, make sure you use a trim removal tool to pop them out. I broke two of them and the bolt got stuck in the thread!

IMG_9604.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

fireangel1313

Reaction score
I fabbed this one myself. Ordered the aluminum and extrusions online and everything can be cut with a miter saw. Rackets are aluminum L brackets. The bolt holes taper down towards the rear though so each cross member is a different length. Cost me about $200. Wind faring was $100 off Prinsu’s site. So $300 total. This is the best pic I can find right now.
a30aa134da0c1853c6ce8e9063524fe9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick