Brake Pad Wear Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015lux with 73K, Brake pad wear indicator just came on. To busy right now to pull wheels and look at both sides. I know this is totally subjective due to driving habit, but approx how many miles do I have before I hit metal? I just don't have time right now and want to put this off if I can.....

Disregard, I took a look, they need replacing now. Not on metal but very close. I was trying to delay but I can't.

Last edited:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These vehicles are known to eat through brakes, and particularly pads, and then rears faster than fronts. I've been lucky/gentle and I did:

Rear pads at 23k miles
Front pads at 32k miles
Rear discs and pads at 42k miles. Discs were still ok, but two sets of pads is enough. Rear pads had a bit of life left, but I was getting a weird vibration so I did them a tad early.

Currently at 45.5k miles. All new parts OEM except for 2nd set of rear pads which are EBC Yellow's. In all these services I never actually had the wear light come on.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered rear pads and rotors from FCP. Last time I will ever pay for rear brakes.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my LR4 for 50k miles and am about to put on my 3rd set of rear pads... crazy man.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the traction control is firing all the time (snowy winter/heavy foot) the rear pad wear is faaast.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first set (front or rear) at 73K, but I bought it with around 40K on it, so who know how many previous....I went with Ferodo/Zimm's. Used both many times in other cars and very satisfied.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These vehicles are known to eat through brakes, and particularly pads, and then rears faster than fronts. I've been lucky/gentle and I did:

Rear pads at 23k miles
Front pads at 32k miles
Rear discs and pads at 42k miles. Discs were still ok, but two sets of pads is enough. Rear pads had a bit of life left, but I was getting a weird vibration so I did them a tad early.

Currently at 45.5k miles. All new parts OEM except for 2nd set of rear pads which are EBC Yellow's. In all these services I never actually had the wear light come on.

I'm starting to doubt the reliability of the wear sensors. I've driven over 120K combined miles in my 2011 and my 2013 and the brake wear warning has never gone off. A few times I really took the pads to the limit and still no warning other than squeaking. I just rely on feel, visual inspection, and common sense now.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the sensors are iffy and a gimmick. How hard is is to look at the pads through the wheel with a flashlight ? You don't even have to remove a wheel to get a general idea. If you are relying on the sensor that is not good.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, there is only 1 sensor for each LR4 axle, which is borderline useless. This assumes all FOUR pads on that axle wear at the same rate. If you drive until the dash warning light comes on, it may or may not be too late. Thanks a lot, bean counters. Best to check the pads visually at least every other oil change, assuming everyone is changing at 5-7kmi like they should.

Anecdote: Back in the early/mid 1990's, Mercedes had wear sensors on all eight brake pads, for models with traction control. Yep, one sensor for every pad. The engineers lost to the bean counters, and this was killed this off by the late 90's. They typically have 2 or 4 sensors total (1 or 2 per axle) after that. Oh, and the cost to replace the 8 sensors on the 90's models? Less than $1 each, and they were often re-usable...

:confused:

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced rear pads last night. Still had 2-3mm of pad left. Did not have enough time to do the rotors. Those rear pads are incredibly small, maybe that’s why they wear so quick. Rotors had some wear but no grooves.

230k on my 05 L332, getting ready to do the rears a second time, and the fronts third time. So around 115k for rear life and 80k for fronts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA