Brakes for an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BushRover

Reaction score
Looking for advice on rear brakes and rotors for a '12 LR4 - I am needing to replace the rear brakes and rotors says the dealer so wondering if anyone else would recommend other (better) brakes and rotors. Thanks in advance for your advice.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed the front and rear over to EBC drill/slotted rotors and green stuff pads.
Couldn't be happier :)
You can change the front and rear for what the dealer charges for one axle.

BushRover

Reaction score
jaguardoc504 - thanks for the information. What exactly was better? longer wear, etc?

mko9

Reaction score
I wouldn't trust what the dealer says for a moment. I would be willing to bet that your pads are maybe 50% or below but not used up, and your rotors are probably fine. Unless you have a lot of miles, or drive a lot of stop and go city miles, or tow a lot, or similar.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost no noise (some when it's cold), almost no dust, longer life, and much better stopping performance IMO.
Also they look amazing through the open spoke design of our wheels.

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't trust what the dealer says for a moment. I would be willing to bet that your pads are maybe 50% or below but not used up, and your rotors are probably fine. Unless you have a lot of miles, or drive a lot of stop and go city miles, or tow a lot, or similar.

I would agree that a dealer is very conservative when it comes to replacement.
However I would recommend replacing the rotors when you replace the pads. The OEM rotors do not leave much extra material for cutting them. Also if they are cut too close to the minimum you are asking for trouble later on; noise, vibration...
The OEM pads are really soft (hence all the brake dust), but the rotors are soft as well. So replacing both is definitly recommended

The LR4 is equipped with wear sensors front an rear, so as long as the light is not on you are OK. Even after the light is on you probably have another 5K before they NEED to be replaced.

shrinkboy

Reaction score
Ditto

I have the EBC slotted rotors and Yellow Stuff pads on my '11 LR4, and now that they've settled in (about 2k miles on them now) the bite is considerably better. Brake dust is just as bad or worse than OEM, but I didn't buy the truck to swish around in looking pretty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM