breaking-in the new car.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

As part of breaking in my new LR3, I have been really easy on the RPMs and accelaration. According to the Manual, one should not "labour" the engine for the first 500 miles or so. I have a really steep ascending driveway. When I parked last night, the engine had to do a lot of work to push the 3 tons up.

I might be wrong but as a solution, tonight before driving up my steep driveway, i selected the Low Range and then drove the truck up. It seemed to took less effort on engine's part and less RPMs as well. Does this sound like an Ok thing to do for atleast during the break-in period.

Also, does leaving the car parked like that (Nose up) in a steep incline pose any immediate or future problems. Like engine not being adequately lubricated enough for the cold morning pre-drive warm-up run.

When, I asked my dealer about the break-in procedure, he said that there was no need for break-in these days. But LR3 manual talks about breaking the car in properly for the first 500 miles or so.

Do the tires have any break-in rules as well, like not driving above certain speed for a certain number of miles or keeping a certain air pressure etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xcursion

Many modern engine does not require break-in, not as required as older engines. But as a general rule, I would always take it easy for new cars for its first 1000 miles. As for parking on a grade, I don't think it makes a difference. The engine oil will settle anyway. The time for the oil pump to get lubrication to the entire engine will not be different as if it were level.

As for tires, I don't think break-in are needed. They can be driven up to their speed rating. Keeping the correct tire pressure is always important, new or old.

A

Amir

thanks x..., i think the door sill label suggests tire pressure at 33/42 (front/rear) but for normal loads the manual suggests 33/36 and for heavy loads only the manual suggests 33/42. Since I am not loading my LR3 with any loads, I will keep it for now 33/36.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72