brush in with brush bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am installing a factory brush bar and I ran into a snag. I had the long bolts that fit into these holes in place, and I was trying to fit the bottom of the brush bar in place. it wasn't really lining up very easily, so I pulled down pretty good to get it to line up. the problem was one of the nuts, (which I assume was tack welded in place behind the bumper) seems to have sheared off. I know the bolt did not shear, I guess I barely had it threaded, and the pulling down snapped the weld that holds it in place. I think I know what I have to do to get at it, but I really don't want to take the entire front end apart to get at the bumper. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thank you.

Attachments

• holes 01.jpg
    holes 01.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 105

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Yeah best bet is to get behind it and try to get the nut back on the bolt. Go to the hardware store and get some spare parts that will fit on the particular nut/bolt you are using.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you do think i need to take it completely apart?

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARGH ! I feel your pain

I didnt admit to this earlier but I severely cross threaded one of mine on installation... and I think if I ever tried to undo it, same thing would happen. Probably a bumper off fix unless you can sneak / snake a nut up there on the rear of the frame member.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting behind it will be the hardest part. Thats why I would just go buy a whole bag of nuts and bolts so when you drop them you can just grab another lol.

That and one of those little magnetic tool retrievers might come in handy.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought 4 nuts...I hope thats enough. if it isn't you will probably find a brush bar for sale real soon in the classified section!!!!!:mad:

timtiedemann

Reaction score
YIKES, I feel better about paying to have mine installed.

Last edited:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me on one side. I got this quick forming/drying steel putty from home depot that I mixed together and put on the end of the bolt going into the bumper. Held it in place for a minute or two and it's now permanently bonded to the steel bumper. About a year later and I still feel confident about jumping on the brush bar.

krizza91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dantheman1,I bought and am going to try JB Weld to do the same thing to the nut. It sounds pretty similar to what you used, and I am hoping for the same results. also, I seem to think I can reach my hand in there from below. I have removed a few plastic parts underneath and if I pull out one last plastic piece, I can fit my hand behind. It's really tight, but I think I will get it with out removing all of the plastic covers that enclose the bumper.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am installing a factory brush bar and I ran into a snag. I had the long bolts that fit into these holes in place, and I was trying to fit the bottom of the brush bar in place. it wasn't really lining up very easily, so I pulled down pretty good to get it to line up. the problem was one of the nuts, (which I assume was tack welded in place behind the bumper) seems to have sheared off. I know the bolt did not shear, I guess I barely had it threaded, and the pulling down snapped the weld that holds it in place. I think I know what I have to do to get at it, but I really don't want to take the entire front end apart to get at the bumper. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thank you.

My idea would be to find an identical LENGTH stainless screw a bit bigger gage to thread into the existing bumper hole and thread it in using thread lube then find a corresponding drill bit and ream out the bumper spacer and nudge bracke...VOILA!! there u have it. Careful not to torque too tight or you'll strip it though... I figure the lower frame support brackets are strong enough to keep the NudgeBar in position. Besides the orig retaining nut weld will break eventually as soon as u bump into a grocery cart anyway... ahahahaaa--Hence "Nudge" :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99