Building a double cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1960apache

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the forum. For years I have been wanting to build a 110 Wagon, but mostly a 110 double cab. I have been talking with a few importers, who have quoted me $85-$150k for an all new build. I want one, but not that bad.
Any input on my options? Any experience building from an ex military and converting to the Double Cab body? I have also read about the TDCI with the 6 speed, but can't find sources or pricing. I don't plan to do much highway, or severe off road, so I don't need a ton of power. Here is a pic of what my end build would be.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• extoly_xi_l316_001bq_n-799.jpg
    extoly_xi_l316_001bq_n-799.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 55

TS888

Reaction score
Where are you? I assume USA from $'s quotes?

That's silly money. You could order all the parts to build a 110 DoKa from Rovers North for less than that.

Find a decent 1985 or older Defender 110 outside the US and import it for your base. Pay no more than $5,000 for it. Start chasing parts in the UK, where they are cheapest, and you could have a nice DoKa on the road for under $20k with some effort and research.

For the record, a 110 wagon is much more practical than a DoKa in most circumstances. And skip the TDCi, go for a 200TDi or 300TDi without electronic fuel control. Simple is better, and much cheaper.

1960apache

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was thinking. I was also thinking about buying a 1985, importing it into the US, getting it registered, then shipping it to the UK to have it rebuilt with newer parts, rather than shipping everything to the US and doing it myself.

TS888

Reaction score
You can build it onto an older chassis with newer parts and keep the older reg. That's what I'm doing. No reason to pay to ship it twice, just get it built and bring it in.

1960apache

Reaction score
Any pics of the progress and any totals of what you have spent on the project?
I am just trying to get an idea of what the real numbers are?

TS888

Reaction score
You want me to admit how much I've spent?! What if my woman reads this! :eek:

I paid a total of about US$4,100 for the two trucks I bought. I have about that much more into the build at this point, but I went in knowing I was buying a legal 1984 chassis, a good 300TDi drivetrain and not much else. The costs include a galvanized frame rolling on Disco axles that I still need to bring home.

Here are pics -- Picasa

I'm living in the UK now, but wanted a truck I could bring to the states some day. I also have a clear vision of what I want, and it's not much on mod cons or comfort -- I want a strong, reliable overlanding truck that I can live out of for weeks. It will be a daily driver, but I have a high tolerance for crude. You could build a much more comfortable truck.

Being here has advantages, in that I can chase bargains and go pick up bits and pieces that would not make sense to ship individually -- like a seat box I bought for GBP 10 and picked up about 30 miles from home. If I were going to do it from the states, I'd set up something with a UK shop to bolt together the major body parts, then ship it to the US and deal with anything mechanical myself on that end. You'll pay a bit more, but still less than buying in the US.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635