Bushing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bam......... My buddy came through! Here is the link:

http://www.dixieformplates.com/LR3BushingProcedure09.pdf

Please ask any question you wish.

Thanks for being patient with me,
Mitchell
Wow, Mitchell. Finally got around to reading this procedure.
This is great! Thanks for documenting this.

As I don't have the tools or the skill you have, this is a good justification for me getting this work done by the dealer. :)

gmfain

Reaction score
As I don't have the tools or the skill you have, this is a good justification for me getting this work done by the dealer. :)

Thanks alot! I have to say it was a real challenge. Having the right tools is key.

Mitchell

fryster

Reaction score
Slight hitch

Your very welcome! Take your time, and be patient. .....And good Luck!

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell, have started the bushing replacement but have come up with a prob. I cannot get the stubborn drive shaft axle out of the hub. Obviously removed the nut, pulled the assembly away and have tried air chisel and slide hammer but no movement. Can I use ultimate force or am I missing a step? I could probably still replace the bushing with the control arm now hanging free, but... Would appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,

Peter

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Mitchell, have started the bushing replacement but have come up with a prob. I cannot get the stubborn drive shaft axle out of the hub. Obviously removed the nut, pulled the assembly away and have tried air chisel and slide hammer but no movement. Can I use ultimate force or am I missing a step? I could probably still replace the bushing with the control arm now hanging free, but... Would appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,

Peter

I used an air chisel with a point on my and it came apart...

fryster

Reaction score
I used an air chisel with a point on my and it came apart...

so no circlips or other such. Just nut off, pull away and air chisel off by placing the point of the air chisel in the indent at the end of the axle? My 05 LR3 has done 115,000 Kms so maybe they are to used to being attached.

Cheers,
Peter

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so no circlips or other such. Just nut off, pull away and air chisel off by placing the point of the air chisel in the indent at the end of the axle? My 05 LR3 has done 115,000 Kms so maybe they are to used to being attached.

Cheers,
Peter

Thats correct, as I recall mine didn't move at first either but it did come apart...

gmfain

Reaction score
Peter, You need a good Air supply. But the chisel point in the center drilled shallow hole. The vibration will eventually free it.

You can do it!

Mitchell

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about step 8

Reviving an old thread. I tried removing the control arms to replace the bushings about a month ago. I got stuck on step 8 of the directions which says to free the ball joint from the control arm. I am assuming this step is referring to the lower control arm and ball joint. Does that mean free the ball joint AND control arm from the hub assembly, or does it mean to actually separate the ball joint from the control arm? In the picture on page 4 of the instructions, the ball joint is still attached to the control arm. Don't I also have to detach the upper ball joint and tie rod ball joint from the whole hub assembly?

Here are some pics of what little progress I did make.

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Last edited:

gmfain

Reaction score
hell pie.

You do have to separate the ball joint from the control arm. The whole control arm has to be removed in order to remove and install bushings on your work bench/ work space.

You do not have to detach the upper ball joint and tie rod ball joint from the whole hub assembly. It will just hang.....and you can swing it out of your way when needed.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Mitchell

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635