Bushing Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmfain

Reaction score
Hey Folks, I have determined that my front lower control arm bushing need replaced.

I'm going to do it myself, and post a how to back to the forum.

But I need a some help from ones who know.

1. Is any special tools needed? ( I have a hydraulic press)

2. Only need to remove lower balljoint nut, shock tower bolt, and the two control arm
bushing bolts.?

Any advice, or help would be great!

Thanks,
Mitchell

Trynian

Reaction score
From what I understand, if you are going to do it yourself. You are better off to purchase the entire new control arm that comes with the bushings installed as well as new ball joints installed.

See this thread for some hints, the complete control arm part number is down in the thread.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31160.html

You will need a 4 wheel alignment afterwards.

Last edited:

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...it is actually less labor to replace the entire control arm, as they come with the bushing installed. My dealer has a special tool to remove the bushing from the control arms, which takes additional time, and....depending on the wear from the bushings, the new bushing might not fit back into the control arm, as it may have too much play.

I think the two control arms should be less than $300 with bushings already in place.

It will require a 4 wheel alignment once done.

gmfain

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the input. From my stealer it is $315.00 per control arm assemble. If I buy the bushings they are $90.0 per side. I'm hoping to get a look/measure the special tool from the stealer. I called Atlantic British for the bushings only there price was $41.00 per side, but they don't have any, and said they did not have a clue when they could get them. Recommended getting from the stealer.

I will keep you all updated. I'm going to the stealer in the am. ( a recall ) I will ask if I can measure the special tool.

Thanks,
Mitchell

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like a resourceful chap. It would be great if you could get detailed measurements of the bushings before installing the new ones. Would love to see Dynastar or some other urethane bushing company make 3rd party replacement bushings made out of something more durable than Crisco.

This article is not directly related, but may be of general use to you also:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=82

Ah! its the same one Scott linked you to. Good job Scott!

gmfain

Reaction score
You sound like a resourceful chap. It would be great if you could get detailed measurements of the bushings before installing the new ones. Would love to see Dynastar or some other urethane bushing company make 3rd party replacement bushings made out of something more durable than Crisco.]

Thank you kindly... I spoke to my stealer this afternoon. I ask if I might be able to measure up there special control arm bushing tool.....and they said they had broken there special tool for the installation of the bushings, and he would check and see if the new one was in, and if so, I could measure it up.

I will measure the new one up and post the data here. I will go as far as providing a CAD
drawing for anyone who request it.

Thanks,
Mitchell

gmfain

Reaction score
Went to the stealer this am, and he let me measure up the install and uninstall tools. Except for the broken one. He said they are have all kinds of problems installing and uninstalling the bushings. He printed the procedure out for me. I will get it scanned into the computer. If anyone wants a copy, I'll be glad to email one....

Of course they did not have a full set of bushings, so they are ordered them. I'm suppose to pick them up next Saturday, the 12th..... So I have a week to draw up the tools, and make them....

I also took a picture of the tools.

Attachments

• 97IMAG0014.jpg
    97IMAG0014.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 270

gmfain

Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up the bushings Saturday. Here is a shot of the bushings... I'm out of town this weekend, so I won't start on the repair until next week....more to come...

Mitchell

Attachments

• DSCN7183.jpg
    DSCN7183.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 239

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Let us know how it works out for you.

You have a nice dealer if he let's you "behind the curtain" to photograph and see the install procedures. Not bad.

gmfain

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Let us know how it works out for you.

You have a nice dealer if he let's you "behind the curtain" to photograph and see the install procedures. Not bad.

Hey thanks alot! LOL... I like that "behind the curtain" I'd like to use that!

My dealer has always been real supportive of my "shade tree mechanic" ability.. I just have more important thing to do with my cash, than give all of it to them! Like a winch, roof rack, you get the idea...LOL

I didn't realize the pic was so large.... I'll try and tone the next pics down... :)

Mitchell

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9