Overlander Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Clover Rover" is back at home after getting the alternator replaced at my local shop. That set me back nearly $1,300 but it runs like a top now. They reset the electrical system to get rid of all the faults and did a general once over on the engine because I had mentioned that I thought I heard a "whining" sound. They said it might be some exhaust unit that liquifies the carbon and sends it back through the engine to be burnt so that it lowers emissions. Something like that, not exactly sure. The point being that he wasn't concerned about anything mechanical wrong with the engine at the moment.

I'm seriously relieved because I wouldn't have been surprised if they came back and said the rig was toast (fried wiring, messed up electrical system, driving while the ECU was freaking out and doing damage to the engine/transmission/etc.). Instead, it was a boring alternator replacement. Alternators are consumable items in my book, so I rack that up to routine maintenance. A bit expensive for an alternator, but a lot less expensive than eating the cost of the entire vehicle.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Clover Rover" is back at home after getting the alternator replaced at my local shop. That set me back nearly $1,300 but it runs like a top now. They reset the electrical system to get rid of all the faults and did a general once over on the engine because I had mentioned that I thought I heard a "whining" sound. They said it might be some exhaust unit that liquifies the carbon and sends it back through the engine to be burnt so that it lowers emissions. Something like that, not exactly sure. The point being that he wasn't concerned about anything mechanical wrong with the engine at the moment.

I'm seriously relieved because I wouldn't have been surprised if they came back and said the rig was toast (fried wiring, messed up electrical system, driving while the ECU was freaking out and doing damage to the engine/transmission/etc.). Instead, it was a boring alternator replacement. Alternators are consumable items in my book, so I rack that up to routine maintenance. A bit expensive for an alternator, but a lot less expensive than eating the cost of the entire vehicle.
Glad the rig wasn’t toast!

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks M32H32IS, me too. Today's adventure was water leaking into the cabin on the passenger's side. I tried to clear the drain tube to the sunroof myself and then tapped out when I saw more water inside the cabin by the passenger's footwell. I called up the local glass place that is family owned and real good folks (they will replace my windshield once that's needed) and asked them who does sunroof work. They gave me the name of a guy and he saw me right away (it was raining). He pulled apart the headliner and disconnected the hose, a gush of water came flowing out of the top of it, and he blew some air through the line with his compressor, and Bob's your Uncle. He had it back together in about 10 minutes and I was $100 lighter in the wallet (and happy for it). If you are ever in my area and need this kind of work done, let me know and I will refer you.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. My friend is a Land Rover mechanic and mentioned cross-over pipes, timing chain, changing diff fluids and control arms. Not sure if that is DIY but if the disco 5 has progressed in some of these instances it may be OK.

It's almost like do you buy a disco 5 or a 90k mile lr4 cheap with service records to prove repairs have been addressed. If I budget the 4runner route I basically spend 11k more for a truck 8 years older with 150k miles. But then again it's a Toyota they say. I hate the way they drive but it is inflated in the market. Just need something that can handle cross country trips.

First, I am inclined to agree with @range rover. My 2012 LR4 has only broken down (unexpectedly) once while I was driving. Front left wheel bearing left me stranded on the side of Interstate 10 outside Los Angeles. Outside of that one-off event, I have had zero issues with my LR4. I do PM services every 10,000 miles.

I highly recommend following your mechanic's advice and changing the cross-over tube. It may "look fine", but it gets VERY brittle and will easily break. Changing the vehicle's vital fluids is of paramount importance. If you want your car to last, stay on task when it comes to changing vital fluids. The timing chain is a known Achillies heal for the V8 Land Rover engine. My LR4 has 185,000 miles on it and it still has the original timing chain. The advice I got from my mechanic was..."if you hear any mechanical/metallic rattling when you first start your car, bring it straight to the shop and have it diagnosed". When my engine reaches 200,000 miles, I will do a preventive maintenance service and have the timing change swapped out for a new one.

Toyota's are just that...Toyotas. LR4's on the other hand, are expensive to properly maintain and service. Having said that, given the choice of a CPO Toyota vs a 2015 LR4 with excellent service records. I would get a LR4 every time. Just my two cents on the topic.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72