Overlander Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Indigoblue

Reaction score
I’ve had a 5th gen 4Runner Trail prior to my LR. I say this is all seriousness. I will do whatever I can to avoid another 4Runner. Or at least 5th Gens. Yes their V6 is reliable. But it’s anemic. Then you see those Yota clowns throw another 1,500 pounds of overlander armor on it. Plus bigger wheels. No thanks. The thing is barely adequate to power the truck stock. I love my V8, air suspension, character etc.

Disco 5s can be nice too. I just hate the shape. Check out a full fat L322 Range Rover also. They ended in 2012 with the same 5.0. And they can be found with the same HD pack with rear locker.
I find this to be true. Plus the back cargo isn't as good as the Rover space wise. However for overlanding in the middle of nowhere reliability is key. Unless there is a tool set and jack or easy diy to fix this as you go. I really hate 4runner and it drives poorly. I love the lr4 and disco 5 but 30,000 mile trip maybe risking it.

Tbh the only benefit I'm thinking is maybe pick up a 100,000k mile lr4 with all the service done. Then sink in money for coils plugs fluids suspension and so on. It's crazy you can get a 2016 lr4 for 12k and a 2012 200k 4runner is still almost 30k without even 4wheel drive or a simple sunroof.

Indigoblue

Reaction score
Keep in mind a 2019 D5 is going to have the same motor as a 2015 LR4. So same concerns with coolant tubes and, although the post-2013 5.0/3.0 have updated timing guides, they're still prone to timing chain issues if the excessively long factory oil change intervals are followed.
So the disco 5 is just same motor? It's just different frame?

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find this to be true. Plus the back cargo isn't as good as the Rover space wise. However for overlanding in the middle of nowhere reliability is key. Unless there is a tool set and jack or easy diy to fix this as you go. I really hate 4runner and it drives poorly. I love the lr4 and disco 5 but 30,000 mile trip maybe risking it.

Tbh the only benefit I'm thinking is maybe pick up a 100,000k mile lr4 with all the service done. Then sink in money for coils plugs fluids suspension and so on. It's crazy you can get a 2016 lr4 for 12k and a 2012 200k 4runner is still almost 30k without even 4wheel drive or a simple sunroof.
Well I think we need to go back and analyze some of your assumptions. You mentioned driving off-road to Central America. Is this your real trip or is this armchair overlanding? Because if it’s real, then ANY truck would need to have thorough maintenance done. People also need to divorce themselves from the thinking that Toyota’s never ever ever break or leave you stranded. That’s simply a false assumption.

I’d say the LR4 is no different to work on than any other suv for routine maintenance. A fluid change is a fluid change. Plugs. Filters. Etc. Fuel injectors require a specialized slide hammer to pop them out.

Timing chains could be DIY and there are videos of same but needless to say if you have a timing failure on any rig in the bush, that’s game over.

Continue doing your research and being honest with yourself about your use case and abilities to work on your own truck. Happy Shopping.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 4 Runner

Land Rovers are complete piles of poo. Stuff constantly breaks. And they aren’t that much better than 4 runners to begin with + you’ll end up spending as much in repair costs.

Plus, you’ll spend every other weekend fixing something.

Sorry, my man, but it seems like you bought a piece of **** that was misrepresented to you by the seller.

My LR4 has been about as problem free as the 80 series Land Cruiser that I owned from '00 to '08. No joke.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think one aspect that you can't account for with the LR4 is just how amazing they are; it strikes me that many people (me included) buy them but don't fully comprehend how great they are until it's too late... I don't necessarily think they're any less reliable than any other vehicle; the have their achilles heels but these are well documented... Every vehicle has some kind of issue down the road; the good thing about the LR4 is it's one of Land Rover's better vehicles.

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, my man, but it seems like you bought a piece of **** that was misrepresented to you by the seller.

My LR4 has been about as problem free as the 80 series Land Cruiser that I owned from '00 to '08. No joke.
I wouldn’t say I’m in the majority, but also don’t sleep on the number of people who buy these and immediately have to drop $10k because their motor crapped the bed. This forum is full of those stories, so buyer beware.

I want so much to like this thing but the wife absolutely hates the fact that it’s such a POS.

I’ve dropped $20,000 on it in the year I’ve owned it and it needs about another $5,000 in work.

Hopefully once that’s done it’ll give me 6 months of trouble free driving. That would be refreshing!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say I’m in the majority, but also don’t sleep on the number of people who buy these and immediately have to drop $10k because their motor crapped the bed. This forum is full of those stories, so buyer beware.

I want so much to like this thing but the wife absolutely hates the fact that it’s such a POS.

I’ve dropped $20,000 on it in the year I’ve owned it and it needs about another $5,000 in work.

Hopefully once that’s done it’ll give me 6 months of trouble free driving. That would be refreshing!
You are literally the only person I'm aware of that had to get a new engine after buying. There are others here who did, but they knew what they were getting into when they bought.

If you want anectodal stories, how about this one. My parents bought a brand new 2022 4Runner in August 2021. Waited 6 months for it and were one of the few to actually get one because Covid still had the Toyota factory in Japan running low volume. At around 5k miles the engine had to be taken apart (maybe even pulled; I don't know) because the rear main was leaking all over the place.

Still, they traded it in few weeks ago for about what they paid for it. Just because it's a Toyota.

Indigoblue

Reaction score

Hey I really appreciate your honesty. I'm not a huge DIYr. I really don't have the cash to constantly fix. I'm certain its better to lease brand new with all warranty covered. My ex had a brand new Range Rover. It was in the shop every month. Fully covered but she paid 1,300.00 a month lease. Thank u for your input. It sucks because thr vehicle new is a dream to drive.

Indigoblue

Reaction score
You are literally the only person I'm aware of that had to get a new engine after buying. There are others here who did, but they knew what they were getting into when they bought.

If you want anectodal stories, how about this one. My parents bought a brand new 2022 4Runner in August 2021. Waited 6 months for it and were one of the few to actually get one because Covid still had the Toyota factory in Japan running low volume. At around 5k miles the engine had to be taken apart (maybe even pulled; I don't know) because the rear main was leaking all over the place.

Still, they traded it in few weeks ago for about what they paid for it. Just because it's a Toyota.
Crazy! That's what I mean... you almost pay full price for a 10 year old high mileage 2wd vehicle that drives like crap compared to the rover but hey maybe you won't have to sink a fortune in it to keep it going idk.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2010 LR4 10 years ago with 70k kms on it. Now at 205k kms and still feels good. It has cost me $0.106 per km to keep it tip top. That is everything: tires, wipers, windshields etc. This is more than most vehicles but it is a special ride,

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72