Buying a Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ishtta

Reaction score
Hello,

Name is Hassan, I live in Lebanon. I have sparked a sudden interest for the Defender in particular. I used to drive a Renualt Megane F1, but after my crash, i decided i want somthing slower (no offence). I've always loved the Defender, and the idea of owning one. I have already spotted 3 in Beirut, 2 of which are for sale. Unfortunatly I have the slightest qlue to the Defenders specs and years, model types and variations. Im very new to the 4x4 world. So how do I identify each Defender by type and model. and what do i look out for? which is best, v8, v6 or i4? why?
please give me a briefe but effective guide on how to buy a defender, and not the 07' but the older generation. and how much do they run for, give or take.

Thanks in advance. il snap pics of the ones i saw, maybe that will help me learn.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Not sure we can help much for the Lebanon market... I for one am in the USA... Most members are from either the US or UK...

I know one person in Lebanon the drives an older Discovery but his is completely set up for off road.

Ishtta

Reaction score
I just want the things i should look out for while buying an older generation Defender, the things that usually go bust. I saw a 72' V8, its a covered pick-up, 2 door. going for 12K$...which is a bit overpriced for a 72'.

I still need to go snap pics of both the ones i saw, il do that soon.

bradalex55

Reaction score
Hi my name is Alex brad i want to buy a new or used defender please can you people provide me the best one also with photos if possible

The Red Ryder

Reaction score
If you want to have a DIY machine then go for a pre-1998 defender as these have the 300 TDI / 200 TDI engine. After 1998 you've got the Td5 and then the DuraTorq (the most recent).

This is mine, it's 2001 but unusually has a 300 TDI engine:

P1050214.jpg

Reaction score
Check out www.d-90.com for info on the defender. The price really varies greatly due to the amount of service that has or has not been done to it during it's current life. Good luck with your purchase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM