Cabin Air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Mann

Reaction score
I’ve got about 12,500 miles on the defender and need to change out my cabin air filter. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to release the glove box to get to the cartridge. I’m worried about muscling it and breaking the latch. Has anyone done this.
As far as I can tell there is NOTHING about the filter or glove box in the factory manual! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not changed the Cabin Air Filter out on the L663 as I have not taken delivery yet.

Here are some ideas:

-On the L322 Range Rover the Cabin Air Filter is accessed from under the hood, near the bottom of the windshield there's a plastic cover that one removes to replace the Cabin Air Filter. Maybe the Defender setup is under the hood; look around the firewall.

-Some Glove Boxes can be squeezed from the sides while open, allowing the storage area/flap to rotate down and away for access.

-Study the Cabin Air Filter replacement YouTubes for Discovery, Range Rover, Velar, Discovery Sport and maybe it will help you figure it out.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Keith Mann

Reaction score
I have not changed the Cabin Air Filter out on the L663 as I have not taken delivery yet.

Here are some ideas:

-On the L322 Range Rover the Cabin Air Filter is accessed from under the hood, near the bottom of the windshield there's a plastic cover that one removes to replace the Cabin Air Filter. Maybe the Defender setup is under the hood; look around the firewall.

-Some Glove Boxes can be squeezed from the sides while open, allowing the storage area/flap to rotate down and away for access.

-Study the Cabin Air Filter replacement YouTubes for Discovery, Range Rover, Velar, Discovery Sport and maybe it will help you figure it out.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful.

Thank you, I have been doing most of this. It seems to me that the mechanism in in the drawer itself but I cannot find another similar such mechanism to use as an example.
I am going to the dealer this morning to see if one of the techs can show me how it works. I will report back with pictures of I find anything out. Thanks again!

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I have been doing most of this. It seems to me that the mechanism in in the drawer itself but I cannot find another similar such mechanism to use as an example.
I am going to the dealer this morning to see if one of the techs can show me how it works. I will report back with pictures of I find anything out. Thanks again!

Looking forward to learning myself. If you have issues with the dealer, maybe Powerful UK will do a YouTube on it if you ask?

Good Luck!

Keith Mann

Reaction score
So, I did get this question resolved but it was quite an adventure. I took the truck to the dealership yesterday. I had purchased the cabin air filter from them the day before for about $60. After not finding anything in the manual or online about how to change the filter I stop by to ask the service center at my local Land Rover dealership. To my surprise, they did not know how to open it either. A couple of them assumed they did but could not get it open and didn’t wanna force it. This is the same problem my head. Eventually one of the gentleman didn’t get it open. There are just two tabs on the edges that need to be depressed, much like several of the other JLR products. It is apparently just a different set up and they were not familiar with it but we did get it sorted out. It’s stuck quite a bit and it did feel like we were breaking it when we first got it open but now it’s much easier. I will post a couple of pictures.
They told me that there’s nothing about it in the manual because they want the buyer to bring the machine back to the service center for replacement.
I attached a couple of pictures so you can see what the mechanism looks like. You can see the cassette for the air filter. It’s white. Hope this helps somebody, I do not like it when the manufacture tries to keep these things secret.

95e2c0365d07fb3c7c642b933a88d227.jpg
af41d03f440fec0ddb09f97d0c1bab3d.jpg
4b396b55ef35efa86a30f7944eae665b.jpg
9cc7cf3589c4ed2a7915188779387b4e.jpg
ac0f53fb43e5e01f6e02fcca35c543a4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members