Cant track down Lug/wheel studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjm41

Reaction score
I broke a lug stud a couple weeks ago and I’m having a difficult time finding a replacement. It appears these studs can only be purchased along with a new hub.

However, my hub is fine and I don’t want to spend a $250 (timken) or $700 (LR) for a replacement hub when I don’t need it.

Yes, I realize I still need to pull the hub to replace the stud. I still don’t want to replace it.

I’ve found studs that appear to be the same size (M14x1.5) and about the same length it’s hard to know if the knurl length and diameter are correct, or if the splines are right.

I picked up a couple dorman studs from autozone (just to compare in person) but the knurl length and diameter isnt right.

Rimmer Bros and the other “LR focused parts sites” appear to have studs for Range Rovers, freelanders, defenders, but not the LR.

I’ve found a couple threads on the forum but nothing with conclusive information.

Anyone got an idea?

138F66E2-B6B1-477F-9B93-3CF641E4F4E2.jpeg
B80F2EBA-70CF-418E-B4E7-E42C1C593000.jpeg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never looked into this but I am curious, how are the studs attached to the hub? As an engineer, I would have never designed these to be serviceable to the extent that I'd want a very strong and permanent attachment to the hub by using an interference fit (press, thermal), epoxy, etc. Not to say they can't or shouldn't be serviced, but I'd be worried about the repair being done poorly.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never looked into this but I am curious, how are the studs attached to the hub? As an engineer, I would have never designed these to be serviceable to the extent that I'd want a very strong and permanent attachment to the hub by using an interference fit (press, thermal), epoxy, etc. Not to say they can't or shouldn't be serviced, but I'd be worried about the repair being done poorly.
They're just press fit. I'd show you if I had my old hub but I threw that POS away.

cjm41

Reaction score

They’re just pressed in. You don’t repair the stud, you replace it- and it’s basically a bolt with splines you can press back into the hub with something like a joint separator (some people seat them by placing a bunch of washers on it and using a lug nut to essentially “pull” the splines into the hub.

This is pretty standard on tons of vehicles. It’s important to use the right stud though.

As it turns out, Lucky8 has the hub assembly with studs already pressed in at a reasonable price. I guess you can replace this without pulling the bearings out.

I really tried as hard as I could to find the studs but when I called Lucky8 and they explained to me it’s an easy and inexpensive replacement (I was mislead about the complexity and cost of this replacement on a Facebook group). I ordered this part. Easy-ish stuff. Will report back once I’m done swapping out.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear. Best of luck.

Also, I did not mean to imply repair, but rather replacement of the stud. And yes, a mechanical press is the most logical approach, so that makes sense.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They’re just pressed in. You don’t repair the stud, you replace it- and it’s basically a bolt with splines you can press back into the hub with something like a joint separator (some people seat them by placing a bunch of washers on it and using a lug nut to essentially “pull” the splines into the hub.

This is pretty standard on tons of vehicles. It’s important to use the right stud though.

As it turns out, Lucky8 has the hub assembly with studs already pressed in at a reasonable price. I guess you can replace this without pulling the bearings out.

I really tried as hard as I could to find the studs but when I called Lucky8 and they explained to me it’s an easy and inexpensive replacement (I was mislead about the complexity and cost of this replacement on a Facebook group). I ordered this part. Easy-ish stuff. Will report back once I’m done swapping out.

I’m my experience with similar designed hubs, albeit on a larger scale the hub is machined then the studs are pressed into it to form a mechanical fit. Similar in principle to a friction coupling. This provides for a very “tight” and robust installation without the need for welding etc. the down side is that it’s essentially a one and done if a stud breaks. You can of course replace studs but generally the fit is not as good as the original. It’s a great get me home option though :)

Do you have the part of the stud that broke off? Or was this claimed by Mother Nature as payment for overland passage. The reason I ask is you can tell a great deal about the failure method by a good look at the surfaces where the break occurred.

Stu

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it turns out, Lucky8 has the hub assembly with studs already pressed in at a reasonable price
I might be over-thinking this, or perhaps it's just an oversight, or maybe it is the same part, but your truck (15' or 16' SCV6 ?) isn't listed in the fit spec ? Great pic again btw.

cjm41

Reaction score
I’m my experience with similar designed hubs, albeit on a larger scale the hub is machined then the studs are pressed into it to form a mechanical fit. Similar in principle to a friction coupling. This provides for a very “tight” and robust installation without the need for welding etc. the down side is that it’s essentially a one and done if a stud breaks. You can of course replace studs but generally the fit is not as good as the original. It’s a great get me home option though :)

Do you have the part of the stud that broke off? Or was this claimed by Mother Nature as payment for overland passage. The reason I ask is you can tell a great deal about the failure method by a good look at the surfaces where the break occurred.

Stu

After the climb into the Sierras up to Coyote Flat and back down (which battered all 4 of my brand new wheels pretty good) I got on the highway and noticed a sound. I stopped the truck to do a quickly once over and noticed a couple loose lug nuts. When I tightened them up one snapped. So the stud it broken off inside the lug nut which I have.

Reality is- it’s probably best I’m replacing all of the studs on that hub given the other ones might be stressed and vulnerable to breaking as well.

cjm41

Reaction score
I might be over-thinking this, or perhaps it's just an oversight, or maybe it is the same part, but your truck (15' or 16' SCV6 ?) isn't listed in the fit spec ? Great pic again btw.

2014. And yes- you’re correct. I chalked it up to Lucky8s website being a bit of a mess. I’d hope they wouldn’t sell me a part that doesn’t fit.

From what I can tell the hubs are the same across all US LR4s.

Coming from BMW world, I’m still astonished by what a disaster the entire Land Rover parts catalog is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA