*** caused this to happen to the oil???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott2ride

Reaction score
I have a 2017 2L diesel Discovery Sport (132kW) version. The motor began to sound very noisy and clattery at 52,000 km (32,000 miles). Serviced by Land Rover since new.

Its out of warranty so I decided to change the oil even though it wasn't due for another 2,000 km. The oil filter looked like it was covered in thick sludge. Like fine paste. (Ill try to post pics and vids)

The last oil change was at 19,000 km (we didnt realise how long ago) and their next recommended service was not for 2 years and at 54.000 km. Really!!!! 35,000 km between services???

Have a look at the pic. I cant work out how to load a vid.

Anyway, the filter is covered in thick paste of oil and its thick enough to mold it into something.

Oil level as over mid way on the level stick.

What could cause this?

I think engine is rooted!

272449076_1002118973706403_4359140242133068408_n.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly every manufacture pushed the oil change limits with the plan that the engine will last through the warranty. That is all they care about. My Jag stated 1 time a year or every 15,000 miles. I changed it every 6,000 miles. Oil still looked new every change up till I sold it at 50,000 miles.

tempestv8

Reaction score
How is the engine doing, now that you've changed the oil? I think that passenger vehicle diesel engines need to have their oil changed every 10,000 kms.
You may have to change the oil and filter after 5000 kms just to give the fresh oil a chance to dissolve all that gunk.

I don't know why oil would sludge up like that in the first place. Especially if the oil is most likely a fully synthetic oil to meet the LR specifications.

Shoshone

Reaction score
California often knows what's best for it's citizens, and that extends to oil change intervals. There is a website that encourages you to extend the change interval and/or follow manufacturers directions. I imagine other governments may also monitor and encourage this.

https://www2.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/ChangeInterval/

Almost all oil change interval “numbers” found through our website are based on using regular engine oil. Some makes and models require using only synthetic oil for their engines. Synthetic oil can help your engine last longer, and allow car owners to go even longer between oil changes –up to 20,000 miles.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick