CEL: Barometric Pressure Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. 40k on ours. I replaced the air filters with K&N replacements a couple thousand miles ago, not sure if I got the code from too much flow (out of spec) or faulty sensor.

The MAP sensor doesn't have anything to do with "flow" but actual barometric pressure so therefore measuring vacuum in the intake manifold.

I believe our LR4s use a combo of three sensors with the ECU -

MAF (Mass Air Flow)
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure)
IATS (Intake Air Temperature Sensor)

Last edited:

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the risk. They were brand new with minimal factory oil residue on them. I've always used them in my vehicles without any issues. That being said if doused with copious oil I'm sure complications would follow. I'll see if CEL continues if so I'll clean sensors. Then maybe replace sensors or just go back to regular filter elements.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can appreciate the risk. They were brand new with minimal factory oil residue on them. I've always used them in my vehicles without any issues. That being said if doused with copious oil I'm sure complications would follow. I'll see if CEL continues if so I'll clean sensors. Then maybe replace sensors or just go back to regular filter elements.

Ya I use a version on my M5 (Dinan Filter) that new has little to no oil. Also another little secret or trick is to take a hair dryer and heat up the filters on the top side to eliminate any surface oil.

Did you get an error for the MAF or MAP? Because that code is specific to the MAP and not the MAFs from what I understand.

If you try cleaning it use CRC MAF cleaner as its safe for electrical sensors.

Last edited:

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAP. makes sense I'm going to make sure I have a good seal on the air boxes. Maybe something simple.. hopefully.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan of K&N. Sure, they allow more airflow simply because the are more porous. They just allow more **** into the engine. Just no way I would run one here in the desert or any offroad conditions.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan of K&N. Sure, they allow more airflow simply because the are more porous. They just allow more **** into the engine. Just no way I would run one here in the desert or any offroad conditions.

My CEL came back on this past week. Even after the sensor change. Lone behold the previous owner had put K&N filters in the car. :ahhhhh:

I replace with MANN filters and Cleaned Throttle Body. Hopefully that will solve this issue. :cool:

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over 2 months with K&N, 2 weeks since reset MAP CEL. Let me know if it comes back on with regular elements if not I'll go back. But so far so good. It does seem like it runs better with them.

churious

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over 2 months with K&N, 2 weeks since reset MAP CEL. Let me know if it comes back on with regular elements if not I'll go back. But so far so good. It does seem like it runs better with them.

Can you define "runs better with them"?

I swapped back to stock filters and don't seem to notice any difference.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe placebo effect. it seams to rev quicker with K&N. There was plenty of power before and after filters. My wife doesn't notice or care. I just grew up always having them in my vehicles. But definitely not worth hassling with CEL and errors.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the error ever come back after replacing map sensor? I just received the fault in my lr4. Took it to advance to get the code and now it's gone. I still have warranty so I'll be taking it in tomorrow. Hope the will work on it since engine fault has been erased.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick