'Certified' is changing from 2y/75k to 1y/12k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Lost

Reaction score
I haven't seen this posted anywhere on this board yet... so if this is old news just ignore me... but...

Starting April 15th Land Rover is reducing the Certified pre-owned program down to 1 year and 12k miles. The price will basically stay the same :mad:

All the dealers i've talked to (and i've talked to a bunch) say all brands are doing it (which is semi-true) and that they will offer comparable 3rd party extended warranty's for the same price.

~Brian

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't actually know CPOs in the US carried that warranty; in Canada CPO has been 1 yr, 20k kms (roughly 12k miles) for the last few years.... Given that CPO vehicles in Canada always seemed to be $5k-$10k more expensive, I could never understand why anyone would bother - 2yr/75k would be much better!

jak167

Reaction score
Boy, that sucks!! Glad I just got mine 3/14. Also, the CPO runs from the inception date of the vehicle. So when the original factory warranty expires you get the additional 2 yrs (1yr), for a total of 6 yrs (5yrs) from date vehicle first placed into service.

k21975

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the CPO is from date of purchase or when the Dealer applies the CPO 'tag'? For instance, if a truck is listed today as CPO, what will the warranty be if I don't go to the dealer until this weekend?

Thanks.

jak167

Reaction score
Using my recent purchase as an example. Before the change, using the 2 yr CPO, if a car entered service on 12/15/05, and it was purchased CPO on 3/15/08, you would tack on the 2 yr CPO on top of the manufaturer's 4 yr warranty, giving a termination date of 12/15/2011. Further, if it was purchased with 20k miles, then you would have the additional 25k miles added to the regular 50k warranty, thus extending to 75k total. So, with the above scenario, you would have two years nine months and 55k miles to burn before the factory warranty/CPO expires.

Now to add another wrinkle, LR allows an extension of the CPO to be purchased for an additional one or two years; however, I heard that was expensive.

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but maybe they are doing this because warranty costs in the 2nd year of warranty are higher than they had projected? Doesn't bode well for those of us who plan to keep their LR3's for a while. Not that I expected a trouble-free experience...

k21975

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify...

If an LR3 is on the dealer lot today and is labeled CPO I can buy it today and it will have 6 years 75k. If I wait until this weekend will it be grandfathered in still having 6 years 75k or will it drop down to 5 years 62k?

The Lost

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify...

If an LR3 is on the dealer lot today and is labeled CPO I can buy it today and it will have 6 years 75k. If I wait until this weekend will it be grandfathered in still having 6 years 75k or will it drop down to 5 years 62k?

I was told that if you buy after the deadline (4/15) you get the lower CPO (it doesn't matter how long the car has been on the lot).. but remember they wanted me to buy a car that day so they may have been blowing smoke up my :bootyshak (it worked though).

~Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99