Charging system fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diazcv4

Reaction score
I have a charging system fault, but both my battery and alternator are testing okay? Any idea why I may be having that fault?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon me if I sound a little frustrated, but there have been a number of this kind of post recently. So this is for everyone, not just you:

It would really help to provide as many details and specifics as possible if you want help diagnosing your issues. Whether it's the car not locking right, or something else like this, to the best of my knowledge clairvoyants are no more prevalent here than elsewhere.

So...what makes you think you have a fault? What "fault" is it? Have you cleared the fault and had it come back? How were battery and alternator tested? Fill in some details and perhaps you'll have better luck.

diazcv4

Reaction score
I have a charging system fault, but both my battery and alternator are testing okay? Any idea why I may be having that fault?
Fair response,
The car runs perfect, no issues just has the battery light light and dashboard states “charging system fault”

I haven’t cleared the fault as I don’t know how to. Battery tested at 12.4v when off and tested at 14.4v when on sitting idol, which indicates that my alternator is working and battery is good to.

Like I said earlier there are no issues while driving or idol, everything on vehicle functions, and I have driven it about 80 miles with no issues as well.

Looking to take it to Land Rover dealership, but closest one is 100 miles from me and want to make sure I will make it, which I feels comfortable at this point but uncertain if this is a minor issue that I am overthinking. Battery is relatively new as well.

Thank you
Pardon me if I sound a little frustrated, but there have been a number of this kind of post recently. So this is for everyone, not just you:

It would really help to provide as many details and specifics as possible if you want help diagnosing your issues. Whether it's the car not locking right, or something else like this, to the best of my knowledge clairvoyants are no more prevalent here than elsewhere.

So...what makes you think you have a fault? What "fault" is it? Have you cleared the fault and had it come back? How were battery and alternator tested? Fill in some details and perhaps you'll have better luck.
Fair response,
The car runs perfect, no issues just has the battery light light and dashboard states “charging system fault”

I haven’t cleared the fault as I don’t know how to. Battery tested at 12.4v when off and tested at 14.4v when on sitting idol, which indicates that my alternator is working and battery is good to.

Like I said earlier there are no issues while driving or idol, everything on vehicle functions, and I have driven it about 80 miles with no issues as well.

Looking to take it to Land Rover dealership, but closest one is 100 miles from me and want to make sure I will make it, which I feels comfortable at this point but uncertain if this is a minor issue that I am overthinking. Battery is relatively new as well.

Thank you

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing. Alternator at idle generating 14.2 v and under load that diminishes to 10.5v so.
Get a gap tool, or equivalent , reset the error code and see if it comes back. Also you can check the live voltage reading when you’re driving. This will help diagnose if you have a failing alternator or not.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your alternator is failing, it's probably because the passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking and dripping oil into the alternator. Mine was, which killed the alternator then I killed the battery getting it to the dealer on just battery power.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your alternator is failing, it's probably because the passenger side valve cover gasket is leaking and dripping oil into the alternator. Mine was, which killed the alternator then I killed the battery getting it to the dealer on just battery power.
Mine died due to cooling obstruction by mud. Lasted 2 k after the mud pit I went through. So they’re durable in the California heat at least.

I’m taking this as a 75% my fault for not hosing it out

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ditto for me

pwmckin

Reaction score
Fair response,

Thank you

Fair response,

Thank you
Did you resolve your issue? The dealership replaced the alternator and battery, but I am still getting the charging system fault. The car goes dead overnight. 3rd trip to the dealership and frustrated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi