Check Engine; Error Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimBonner8

Reaction score
UPDATE

Joey - air cleaner is good to go complete with new filter.

Mike -- battery is up to spec on voltage

Took the car to the dealer two weeks ago -- they identified a short in the Evap circuit and so they said they isolated it. The car was running great for them with all the numbers right in TestBook. Next day; same issue -- back to running rough, very rich exhaust.

Was going to take it back to the dealer but called a neighbor that used to be a LR mechanic at the local dealer. Put me in touch with another ex-LR dealer mechanic who opened his own shop. This fella has all the dealer tools including TestBook.

Well, Keanan -- you hit the jackpot. Fuse #2 was toast..and I'm betting it has been the issue all along as it controls power to all the items I'd just replaced! No wonder they weren't working. Turns out there was a short somewhere along the line.

The shop (UK Motors in Felton, PA) did about 4 hours of checking the circuit, eliminating issues. The tech took it from a short circuit to an open circuit as he did not definitively identify the short. As he was tracing wires (via shaking and pulling wire sets particularly thru the plenum) the short went away. I didn't have the time (nor the cash at this point) for them to pull the plenum to check the wires running under it).

We hooked up TestBook -- most everything was to spec.

Notable issues:

1. on the downstream O2 sensors, the heaters are not working so we have an open circuit there
2. Evap Circuit -- not purging system completely -- still some unknown issues. Could be clogged purge valve but uncertain

Looking back we may not have had to replaced the MAF, the four O2 sesnors or the camshaft position sensor. So it may be that I ended up spending $500 unnecessarily (this work was done by the shop I typically take the D2 to).

The car is running brilliantly now. Mileage is back to it's typical 15 to 16 MPG; performance is back to a very steady and fast turtle's pace rather than a sickly sputtering one.

Check Engine light is still on but I believe once we get the Evap system right that will go away.

Will keep you posted on progress.

Jim
===
Vehicle: Black 2001 Disco II SE7
189,000 miles
Head was rebuilt at 130,000

Jackison

Reaction score
Having the same issue. Check Engine light came on and then the engine started running rougher and rougher

evansdave

Reaction score
Thank you Keanan. It was Fuse #2. I also (re)secured O2 Sensor harnesses that had been left hanging after prior repair and appeared to have heated at connectors. Clearly, something caused the fuse to blow.

Chrischris70

Reaction score
Go under the hood, look in the fuse panel, check fuse 14. Also look for any other blown fuses. Happened to me a while back and it took forever to figure out

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM