Child safety seat locations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks PLEASE read your manual and completely understand where you should put your child seat! Half of the responses on here are completely wrong.:mad: This scars the heck out of me!

If you need additional help I know you can go to your local fire station or cop shop! I know ours offers training seminars for child safety. Just a thought.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RvDUB - we read the manual and that's why we didn't think the center seat was the best option. But if we place the child on either side, it interferes with the seat in front of it. Passenger side would be the least trouble, so that leaves the option of backing into the garage. Even tho my wife says she doesn't think she can do it, maybe I'll have her try soon and see how it feels. I think with a little practice, she can do it. I think the biggest obstacle is our driveway is pretty slanted, so it makes it difficult to ease it in.

As far as installing a latch system on the middle seat, all the bracketry is just as thick there as for the side seats, but it might be safer in that the middle seat does not "latch down", it's bolted down. Of course, this all hinges on how well the new latches are installed. But I have my doubts we'll pursue this.

Thanks again for all the help!

J.D.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RvDUB - we read the manual and that's why we didn't think the center seat was the best option. But if we place the child on either side, it interferes with the seat in front of it. Passenger side would be the least trouble, so that leaves the option of backing into the garage. Even tho my wife says she doesn't think she can do it, maybe I'll have her try soon and see how it feels. I think with a little practice, she can do it. I think the biggest obstacle is our driveway is pretty slanted, so it makes it difficult to ease it in.

As far as installing a latch system on the middle seat, all the bracketry is just as thick there as for the side seats, but it might be safer in that the middle seat does not "latch down", it's bolted down. Of course, this all hinges on how well the new latches are installed. But I have my doubts we'll pursue this.

Thanks again for all the help!

J.D.

Sorry if I am ranting this is just a topic that is important to me. I know we all ready the manual and want the best for our children. In the manual it clearly states to never attempt to use a set in the middle position and the latches from the side seats. Period.

Now I am not aware of anyone who can install a LATCH in the middle. But if you can and they can certify that it will work as safely as the side sets then that is your decision to use it.

Now backing in the big 'ol Landy can be challenging. I agree! But I bet you will get a system down!

Good Luck and congrats again! Get your sleep now :biggrin:

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the manual it clearly states to never attempt to use a set in the middle position and the latches from the side seats. Period.

I do remember reading this in the manual now that you mention it. You can still use the seat belt in the middle to fasten the child seat, however. You do not *have* to use LATCH and as far as I have read there is nothing about LATCH that makes it safer than a properly secured seatbelt on a child seat.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RvDUB - I appreciate any and all comments in this matter. It's our first and I certainly want what's BEST for our child. Our LR3 is at the dealer today for it's 45k service. I posed the question to them and they are researching options. We are also planning on going to the local Fire Dept this week to get their opinion. Thanks for the congrats! We are excited among many other emotions!

The idea of using the seatbelt in the middle seat is more appealing than using the latches from the other two seats. Being that we have two more seats in the back, you couldn't access them without unhooking the latch each time. Then there is the possible safety factor.

I think I'll also call land rover to see what they say and report back.

J.D.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The idea of using the seatbelt in the middle seat is more appealing than using the latches from the other two seats. Being that we have two more seats in the back, you couldn't access them without unhooking the latch each time. Then there is the possible safety factor.

True. I did some research and bought a fairly slim infant seat (that I really like, btw) and it fits very nicely in the middle. All of the other seats can be folded and moved without any interference.

It's also not really and harder that using LATCH because you fasten the seatbelt once around the car seat base and the base always stays in the vehicle, so it's not like you're fighting with the seatbelt every time you take the kid in and out.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do remember reading this in the manual now that you mention it. You can still use the seat belt in the middle to fasten the child seat, however. You do not *have* to use LATCH and as far as I have read there is nothing about LATCH that makes it safer than a properly secured seatbelt on a child seat.

You are correct! I should have mentioned that as well. You CAN use the seatbelt in the middle seat position. Each of the seatbelts in the second row DO have a "locking mechanism" to use for a child seat!

Thanks for bringing that up!

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RvDUB - I appreciate any and all comments in this matter. It's our first and I certainly want what's BEST for our child. Our LR3 is at the dealer today for it's 45k service. I posed the question to them and they are researching options. We are also planning on going to the local Fire Dept this week to get their opinion. Thanks for the congrats! We are excited among many other emotions!

I think I'll also call land rover to see what they say and report back.

J.D.

Your welcome! Looks like you have your bases covered J.D !

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct! I should have mentioned that as well. You CAN use the seatbelt in the middle seat position. Each of the seatbelts in the second row DO have a "locking mechanism" to use for a child seat!

Thanks for bringing that up!

Not only CAN you use the seatbelt instead of a latch system, I've seen few people that can tighten their latch system as tightly as a seatbelt - it's really just a simply question of design and ergonimics; since the anchor points for LATCH are tucked under the seats, and most car seats seem to be designed to run the belt fairly close to the seat back (ie, in a much more vertical direction, then compared to how a lap belt works on a human), the cushioning works against tightening. I personally find it much easier to tighten a seat belt down, though it does take a bit longer to fiddle with the locking clips (I've yet to find an "easy" way to seat them in place every time)...

Of the dozen or so that I've assisted people with, I've yet to find a latch seat that I couldn't tighten further (granted, I'm relatively heavy, and lifted weights once upon a time - a bit of muscle has stayed with me (a very little bit, if you ask my wife!)). I'd second the comment about seat protectors as well - when tightening down to the appropriate amount, they really keep the imprints away.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called Land Rover, hoping to get their recommendations on the subject and was appalled by their response.

"We, as a manufacturer, have no recommendations on the location of a child safety seat".

The only recommendation they could offer was to talk to my dealer. I find that very hard to believe. Obviously, the two side seats were designed for such a restraint, so there was some thought (and testing) involved. Surely there is something within LR that gives recommendations!?!?!?

In the back of my mind I was already planning on selling our LR3 in the future and replacing it with another LR_ (8?). If our family continues to grow, I am not so sure that's a viable option anymore.

J.D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM