Child safety seat locations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parking differently will be the least of your worries in a couple of months. Your days of using a garage for cars are dwindling.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really!?? This is completely wrong and you are endangering your child's safety. The LATCH system was NEVER designed for the center seat. Jsut read your manual on page 57.

Not trying to be a PITA but just stating the fact's.

They may state that - but every car on the planet has them in the exact same position. The angles are the same, the location is the same. I am more comfortable with my little guy in the center than next to the window any day of the week.

---more below.

Last edited:

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called Land Rover, hoping to get their recommendations on the subject and was appalled by their response.

"We, as a manufacturer, have no recommendations on the location of a child safety seat".

The only recommendation they could offer was to talk to my dealer. I find that very hard to believe. Obviously, the two side seats were designed for such a restraint, so there was some thought (and testing) involved. Surely there is something within LR that gives recommendations!?!?!?

In the back of my mind I was already planning on selling our LR3 in the future and replacing it with another LR_ (8?). If our family continues to grow, I am not so sure that's a viable option anymore.

J.D.

Not surprising. They are covering their asses, just like the statement in the manual about the latch system.

FWIW - the LATCH system is anchored (seat base) to the same location as the seat belt system (required to). The angles are the same as if a person was belted in the middle seat. Mind you a person weighs a hell of a lot more than my 5mo old in the car seat.

More....on the Latch system. It only works this way with ONLY the infant seats. There is no CENTER/REAR latch that is required for a toddler seat. Whereas the infant seat does not require the center/rear latch.

So...Will I put a toddler seat there? Heck no. It would not be installed properly.

Also - please note. Very FEW, and I do mean FEW people understand how the LATCH system works. When installing this seat base, you need to put all of your weight into the center of the base to tighten up the belt. It MUST be tight. I weigh 260# - I have no trouble making this work.

As I have said, I am comfortable with the infant seat being there and installed properly. Will my toddler seat go there? NO.

Last edited:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember those days....but that was probably before LATCH came out...

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
REMINDER - Infant seat bases DO NOT require the over-the-top 3rd belt LATCH. They only require two.

With that said, DO NOT - put a toddler seat in the middle. (This is the reason for the statement in the manual.)

Here is what was done for our infant seat. Photo details:

Seat2.jpg

Seat1.jpg

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks PLEASE read your manual and completely understand where you should put your child seat! Half of the responses on here are completely wrong.:mad: This scars the heck out of me!

If you need additional help I know you can go to your local fire station or cop shop! I know ours offers training seminars for child safety. Just a thought.

Yep, just read the manual. Thanks for the correction RvDUB. Middle seat does not
have the LATCH system. I stand corrected. Mr. Big's set up looks pretty good.
Putting the seat on the outer seats still gives me the creeps though, that side impact
thing is definately something to consider.

Trynian

Reaction score
REMINDER - Infant seat bases DO NOT require the over-the-top 3rd belt LATCH. They only require two.

With that said, DO NOT - put a toddler seat in the middle. (This is the reason for the statement in the manual.)

The center seat does have a third top latch anchor point by the way and you can put a toddler seat in the middle with no issue using the seat belt and the overtop latch anchor.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We use the latches as a backup; the primary is and always should be the seat belt itself.

That said, if you are having space issues you may wish to look at different infant seats. I could fit just fine in the Land Rover with the seat behind me and I am 6'3". For that matter my wife could fit fine in my 911 with an infant seat behind her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM