Chrome color grille? Naah. Gray works better!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go Rob.

I could see it going either way, but I would go with black

Attachments

• LR3%20012-gray.jpg
    LR3%20012-gray.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 158
  • LR3%20012-black.jpg
    LR3%20012-black.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 155

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've got mad skills with Photoshop I see! Thanks!

I've only ever used Plasti-dip for tool handles in the dip can form. Takes forever to dry and requires multiple thin coats. Have you used the spray can form for this type of application? I know they sell paint that will stick to plastic like lawn furniture, etc. I might try that instead. Downside to painting is ofcoarse the fact it will get chipped but with sray paint its a relatively easy fix when it does.

Tell me more about how you modified the bottom tabs for a tighter fit.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plastidip aerosol is completely different than the liquid you drip tools into. This is more like a spray on bed liner in a can (you could probably use those as well). It will spray out the same as a traditional paint. Application is no different.

The big difference is the fact that the plastidip or bedliner spray has rubber in it. So when the rocks hit it, the rubber absorbs the blow and doesn't chip the paint.

You can use a regular paint, but you'll need to re-do it probably once a year. Not a big deal since the grill comes off really easily. But this grill isn't as durable as OEM, so the on/off each time will eventually cause the plastic tabs to fail. If you are going to use regular paint, get a can of 'adhesion promoter' to help it stick to the plastic. For paint I would suggest using
"Trim Black" from SEM. http://www.amazon.com/SEM-Paints-SEM39143-Black-Aerosol/dp/B000EM019O

The hardest part here is going to try and match the black with the existing bumper covers/fender flares.

As far as the modification I did, on the bottom there are the 2 clips. They are just regular tabs you push down to release from the slot the plug into. Well these tabs are a little thin and are therefore a bit weak. All I did was put a thin coat of plastic epoxy on the outside of the tabs where they "flex" so that they are a bit stiffer. It didn't make it fit any better, just made the tabs stay put where they should.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could even try a color match

Attachments

• LR3%20012-red.jpg
    LR3%20012-red.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 143

Wickham

Reaction score
Modification on clips always needed?

Nsense, did you need to do a modification on your clips to make them sturdier like Mack? I wonder if I should go ahead and pick up the plasic epoxy? By the way- I like the black grill on Robs LR!

nsense

Reaction score
Nsense, did you need to do a modification on your clips to make them sturdier like Mack? I wonder if I should go ahead and pick up the plasic epoxy? By the way- I like the black grill on Robs LR!

WickMAN- No, I didnt need to modify the lower clips. The lower clips on this grille is stiff. After I installed it, I pulled em out to clean the radiator, and I had a hard time pulling it. It is a slightly very minimally loose- only if you pull hard enough from the bottom. But from the grille popping out, naah. I went on a long road trip to Green Bay with some bumpy roads and it stayed.

Yeah, I love the black grille on that photo- it would be perfect if the bumper and side flares are COLOR matched to the body- that would be hands down COOL looking LR3.

Imagine putting that type of grille in black on a red LR4- or any LR4.

Last edited:

Wickham

Reaction score
Great!

Thanks Nsense-looking forward to receiving my grill, it should be here by Thursday. Badge came yesterday. I'll mount it and post some pics. I appreciate your responses and advice.

2yellowlabs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm kinda diggin' the dark silver actually!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 112
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 108
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 104

Latest posts

Members online