Cloud of Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodhistt

Reaction score
The only inspection I did was looking at the pump. On the LR4 it's located at the front of the engine at the bottom on the passenger side of the crank shaft. Next to the alternator.

I did it myself. It isn't bad to do. Just take off the skid plates and unbolt it.

The Part Number I used is

PIERBURG LR082226 / 701188220.​

You can find it on eBay for about $200.

The only thing to watch out for is that you will need new bolts because the new pump has a different thickness.

I found some at my local hardware store. But the recommended pn is Qty 2 LR060479 bolt

Epsol

Reaction score
Thanks a lot
I'll will check it right now

All problems are gone since you replaced the pump?
No more oil burning/loss?
No more cloud of smoke...?

Thanks again

Epsol

Reaction score
Also, will the engine oil flow out through the hole once the pump remooved, I mean important quantity of oil?
I just did oil engine + filter change!
Should I repeat oil change once the pump replaced or just add missing oil during ?

Thanks,

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory manual says to drain oil first, but someone else reported they replaced the pump without draining, and no oil came out... however I think they had the truck angled, i.e. front axle raised, or on ramps.

I will be replacing my vacuum pump in a few months, I bought a new Pierburg and the correct longer bolts. I don't plan to drain the oil, and I will have the truck on a lift (level/flat) so I'll find out if any oil comes out or not.

If you just changed the oil, I would have a container handy to catch any oil that comes out. If it's a substantial amount, measure the lost oil and add that much new oil when you are done.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a suction pump (mityvac), you can just suck most of it out and then pump it right back in when you’re done.

Bodhistt

Reaction score
There was some oil but not a lot. Like GSXR said when the vehicle is tilted not much comes out. You still need a pan so you don't make a mess but it's not significant. If you have the new pump and bolts ready to go the mess should be minimal.

I had to stop and go to the hardware store in the middle of it and maybe lost half a quart.

But no problems since! It was definitely the issue for me and is now fixed.

Epsol

Reaction score
Guys thanks a lot for all your answers!!
I am waiting after my order for the pump and bolts, normally at the end of the week the package should be delivered.

I hope this will definitely solve the issue, I just have enough with burning oil smell and Cloud of smoke

Of course I will keep you informed about the results.

Merci & Bon weekend

shinckley08

Reaction score
I did this yesterday on my 2013 and with the front raised I lost nearly all of my oil. I ended up doing an unplanned oil change. Based on what I read I expected a little bit of oil and I got a lot!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi