Coil Pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scanachi

Reaction score
I like the relocation idea and may do that one day. Replaced my packs about 3 years ago so no hurry I guess.

Need to ask about the low flow air filter. I use Wix brand and they do a good job. But if there's one or there that could give a bit more mileage I'm interested.

So what brand is this low flow filter?

How difficult was the job?

Did I require any special tools?

Im not sure about the low flow filter... Schoemann has mentioned it. I’m interested in checking it out.

Let me know about your Wix, in the meantime.

ajkillgore

Reaction score
It was easy because in this case I let a shop do it since it involves removing the intake manifold. If I ever do the relocation the old coils will live where they are and I will install the new ones per the kit instructions.

About the WIX filters. They have been tested and seem to be better than most filters both oil and air. I use them on both my Disco and Mustang and most of my previous cars and trucks. I don't know of any air filter that will add 1 or more mpg. I have used K&N who say they will give you many more MPG but I saw no significant change on the 2002 Dodge RAM Quad cab I had.

So there's my 2cents.

ajkillgore

Reaction score
The coil packs are on the backside of the engine heads right next to the firewall. Since you are pulling the heads for new head gaskets, you should be alright. I have a 99 DiscoII and I recommend adding a low restriction air filter. I did and picked up at least 1.5 to 2.5 miles per gallon and nicer pick-up as well.

What brand of Air Filter are you saying will give that much increase in mpg?

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see a slight mpg increase when installing a free flowing filter while running with a carburetor, that's called running a bit leaner as the carb has fixed jets vs a computer controlled fuel air ratio is always correcting to maintain the computer's chip set program F/A ratio. More air means more fuel added by Mr. computer.
No mpg increases operating at part throttle cruise anyway with a slight Hp increase at full throttle be it a carburetor (properly jetted) or FI fed engine by the slight volumemetric increase gained by the less restrictive air filter.
Better yet feed your engine with a colder with a ram air intake system ahead of the air filter box.
Replacing those antique 1980's design single hole dribble Lucas injectors with 2000+ era Bosch 4 hole injectors resulting in a finer fuel particle atomization, now your into a slight mpg increase.
Louder exhaust systems will lower your mpg due to your temptations with stuffing the right foot into the throttle deeper enjoying your exhaust music.
Your mileage may increase especially your performance just by adding two STP window stickers plus a chrome air filter cover. "Your mileage may very".....~~=o&o>......

Scanachi

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s input and recommendations.

Thanks!

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placing coil packs behind the engine with all the engine heat what a foolish location by LR then add them being prone to failures plus expensive not alone being NOT accessible. One coil pack failure your down two cylinders then limping it home or out of the woods now destroying your catalytic $$$$ converters by driving it.
LR got one thing right back in 95 and older LR's by placing a singular coil, I say again singular coil mounted on the radiator support bracket right behind the left headlight. Easy access replacement two minutes tops plus cheap to replace. So cheap and easy one would be foolish to not carry a spare coil, distributor, alternator, belt and idler tension pulley in the boot. Dealing with British always prepared for another electrical component failure.
What was them "Beefeater's" thinking backwards wit 96 onward vehicles? So sad. ......~~=o&o>......

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA