Colorado Wheeling Trip - need your input

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Wil at Pikes Peak Rovers and he said he's in. Probably could easily get 2 or 3 more from his clan to go. I said we wanted to keep it somewhat small. Shooting for 10-12 rigs.

Should be a good time!

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Panzerknacker and I are nailing down details. Here's the scoop:

Sunday Feb. 28th meet at Olde World Bagel on Lake Ave & Cheyenne Mtn Blvd at 9am if you want coffee and pastries, or we'll head down the road promptly at 9:30a from there. Exit I-25 at Lake, head West. Make your first left onto East Cheyenne Mtn Blvd. Take your first right and the bagel shop will be 200ft right in front of you.

We'll head West on Cheyenne and then south on hwy 115 all the way to Penrose. Hopefully we can regroup here if we've lost anyone. There, we'll head West on Hwy 50 to Canyon City where we'll catch Shelf road to Cripple Creek. We should be arriving at Cripple Creek around 11:30 and we'll eat lunch here.

Around 1pm, we'll leave Cripple Creek and make our way to Gold camp road and bring that all the way back into Colorado Springs. We should be getting back into town around 3-4pm, assuming we don't have much trouble. Panzerknacker said there are spur roads to explore, which we'll have some time for, but if you want to explore them all, you'll be on your own or have to come back.

What to bring:
FRS radios (if you have any)
Recovery Strap & necessary shackles/clevises
Water
Winter clothing in case you get stuck (insulated leather gloves are good)
Shovel
Basic tools
Still and/or video camera

What to expect:
These roads can be snowy and icy, but it is my understanding that there is no reason any damage should occur to your vehicle. We may be bashing some shallow snow, but that appears to be the most complicated terrain we'll run into on the main roads. It should go without saying, but since it's a new group, we'll practice Tread Lightly and responsible wheeling. Drinking on the trail is still drinking and driving, and while you are your own person, I ask that you leave the alcohol at home. A beer at lunch is OK, but that's where it stays. If you get stuck and aren't sure what to do, ask for help before you damage your vehicle. I don't know how many times I had wished I swallowed my pride!

Shelf Road:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=230

Sorry if this seems like a drill Sargent, but being our first trip out together, I wanted to set some ground rules so that hopefully we can do this again in the future and enjoy the trip.

Hope to see you soon!!

J.D.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The type of spur trails im looking at are ones like this: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=231

Right where the pavement ends and Shelf road begins, its a 7 mile loop and shouldnt take long to travel. If anyone is interested in running it they can and it would be a good opportunity for anyone else to take a short bathroom/snack break before the longer trip up Shelf rd without splitting up.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was up there over the weekend hitting Eagle Rock. There is a considerable amount of snow up there now. Snowed on us the whole time, but I think we'll still be fine on the main roads. The side roads that don't get the traffic will likely be pretty deep. I am guessing at over 8" on top of fresh stuff, but since we got 3" here overnight, there is likely to be an additional 6 or more up there. The road was super slick tho, so we'll need to take our time headed down into the 'Springs. Plus, for some reason, that area attracts a lot of people who haven't a clue as to what they are doing, so you have to watch out for yourself around EVERY corner.

Cripple Creek's weather for Saturday looks good. I am looking forward to meeting you and others!! 9am if you want coffee and pastries, and we'll be headed out at 9:30.

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Panzerknacker, are you still able to go at this point? Are you willing to lead the group? Otherwise, I'll start getting my ducks in a row. Thanks!

J.D.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I just found out that we have training exercises on Sunday so I wont be able to attend. Its just what I was afraid of but I recently got to my unit and hadn't seen the schedule till now so I am not that suprised. We are getting a 4-day weekend for the first weekend in March in return lol... Im kind of bummed but these trails are accessible enough that they can be run anytime. If you hear machine gun fire while driving south on 115 near Ft. Carson that will be me.

They are easy to find, From highway 50 in Canon City turn north on Dozier Ave, after a little bit it will curve to the west, then you turn north on Field Ave which will turn into Co Rd 9 and eventually turn into dirt and become Shelf Rd. There is a sign. Just follow the main trail it will take you all the way to pavement at Highway 67. Cripple Creek is to the north, Victor to the south. After taking a break in Cripple Creek go south to Victor and follow Co Rd 81 (pavement) which will head north. Gold Camp Road is a few miles up the road. Just stay vigilant, there is a sign that says Gold Camp Rd. and Colorado Springs. Again just follow the most highly traveled path and you cant go wrong. Google Earth is a very useful tool as well.

I was looking forward to meeting some local people and cruising but work is work and bills gotta be paid. Ill have another chance Most likely March 20-21.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, that is a bummer!!! Directions seem simple enough. One question, when you turn off 81 onto gold camp, did you parallel 81 until you crosses the creek? Looks like there are a few ways to get to gold camp from 81, but didn't want to end up on private property.

March is a big unknown for me. My wife is pregnant and it sounds like family and friends have a baby shower nearly every weekend.

J.D.

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for getting on Gold Camp I saw a few roads that looked like they lead to it when I looked at maps, I am not sure if they will all connect to it or not honestly. It was a little bit of a shot in the dark for me as well my first time there, but it became obvious once I found it. Just keep your eyes open for signs and you cant miss it. Vehicle mounted GPS doesnt really show it but its there. Its dirt and wide enough for 2 lanes, Its also a fairly highly traveled road and most of the private property seemed to be marked.

Well good luck with the baby showers and visiting family. I see quite a few rovers and other 4x4s parked in my parking lot on Ft. Carson if I figure out who they belong to maybe I can get a few more people interested in some future runs. There is a lot of scenic trails over by Buena Vista that dont look like they will be much trouble for stock vehicles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV