Compomotive PD 1881 finish delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wheels are black. Here's the link. I'm sure these caps would look just as good with grey Compos. Keep in mind, the aftermarket caps fit a bit loose, as other's have mentioned in other threads, a bit of Permatex gasket maker on each tab makes for a snug fitting cap.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put new compo's on mine. Will keep an eye on them. How old were these?

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you diluting the simple green? It will cloud and eventually destroy clear coat.

Yes. My standard mix would be close about 15-20% Simple Green to water. I’m sure there’s been times that could creep slightly higher. Never full strength or anywhere close to it.

I’ve been using Simple Green forever.

Do you have first hand experience?

Last edited:

Dellas42

Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, all 4 wheels have about 4-5 dime size spots where the clear has flaked away. I sent photos to Barry and he replied he cannot be held responsible. He recommended a repaint. $700 at a local powder coater. The wheels are 30 months old now. I have always handwashed my cars with Johnson Baby Shampoo with no issues. Pretty disappointing when you spend the money to buy the best product available and it fails.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat, all 4 wheels have about 4-5 dime size spots where the clear has flaked away. I sent photos to Barry and he replied he cannot be held responsible. He recommended a repaint. $700 at a local powder coater. The wheels are 30 months old now. I have always handwashed my cars with Johnson Baby Shampoo with no issues. Pretty disappointing when you spend the money to buy the best product available and it fails.

You can tell him I was on the list to buy compos in a month or so...now will be going with the tuffant. I would never think a company like this would not stand behind their product.

Use and abuse is one thing, but to have total delamination and left out in the cold like that is unacceptable.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started doing this about 6 weeks ago. 3 of 4 wheels so far. I have no idea what cause could be. It’s like a clear coat layer coming off. Mine are about 4-5 yrs old. Curious too if Compmotive replies. Thinking I’ll wait till 4th wheel does the same then get refinished at some point.
Seems like a quality control problem with Compos. You guys just helped me make my purchase decision to the tuffant, especially Compo doesn’t stand behind their product. Premium brands are usually quick to make it right. Surprised by this.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Holy ****. What a bogus reply. The last thing I'd want to do is shell out $2,000 for rims, only to have them look like half-ass plastidip specials a short time later.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72