Compomotive PD 1881 finish delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this started happening... 0 to 100 mph in about a week. I thought these were powder coated?
IMG_8753.JPG

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird. Watching with curiosity. I emailed the Johnson Rods guy after scuffing mine on the trail to see what my options were but never heard back.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've written an email to Compomotive. I'll update the thread as I receive info, though I'm not holding my breath for a positive outcome.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happen after taking it through a car wash by chance?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all sorts of scuff marks and scratches on my 6-year old Compos (PD1880, your immediate predecessors), all pretty much sustained on the trail while rock crawling. Nothing like that, however. Where there was no direct contact with a hard object, the finish is still in perfect shape. Mine are black, are yours gray? Can't quite tell from the photo.

mray

Reaction score
Mine started doing this about 6 weeks ago. 3 of 4 wheels so far. I have no idea what cause could be. It’s like a clear coat layer coming off. Mine are about 4-5 yrs old. Curious too if Compmotive replies. Thinking I’ll wait till 4th wheel does the same then get refinished at some point.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have all sorts of scuff marks and scratches on my 6-year old Compos (PD1880, your immediate predecessors), all pretty much sustained on the trail while rock crawling. Nothing like that, however. Where there was no direct contact with a hard object, the finish is still in perfect shape. Mine are black, are yours gray? Can't quite tell from the photo.

Mine are black. The first bit of delamination was found near a nick in the paint, from there I continued to inspect the remaining wheels, I found there to be a few other nicks that exhibited the same small amount of delamination, think pea size.

Fast forward two weeks and upon further inspection I’m now looking at major failure.

I reached out to Compomotive and Barry returned my email inquiry promptly, his only suggestion was that some sort of chemical could have contributed to this failure. The only “chemical” I knowingly introduce to the wheel on a regular basis is Simple Green. I’ve been around the block once or twice when it comes to clear coats and paint finishes and I can’t imagine Simple Green degrading a cleat coat. This is a production issue.

Kinda bummed to say the least.

mray

Reaction score
I thought maybe the car wash I go to once or twice a year was the cause (chemical cleaner) but didn’t add up bc I’ve been going there for years and never an issue. They’re well past an age of any warranty on mine. Maybe just a bad laminate batch. I haven’t consulted a wheel refurb place yet to get an opinion. But I’m with ya, lame quality issue. The only positive spin I’ve put on it is maybe the refinish can be done in same black as the original black LR factory rims.

(My center caps came with the original LR black wheels)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72