Compomotive PD 1881 finish delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like rally wheels. Those Evos do it for me in ways the Compomotives never did. I know Land Cruiser guys have been running them on their 200 series for a while.

mray

Reaction score
Lol, I think the plastidip coating I did on my LR3 rims lasted longer.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression the OE Compomotive finish was powder coat. If that's the case, then why the clear coat over?

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just got my 5 X Compos from U.K. It took me 5 months for them to arrive due to serious problems
with the Aussie dealer Green Oval Automotive. Now about to mount BFG KO2's on the rims but I'm
intrigued by most U.S. buyers fitting 265/65 18's. It seems that 265/60 18's are closest in circumference
to the OE 19's. I'd like the higher sidewalls but want to keep the speedo accurate.
Do the 65's cause any rubbing problems or fouling on very rough trails??
I'd like to get darker center caps - my caps are OE silver. Anyone know where I can get darker caps?

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the 265/65 on my Compos with no issues. Trail test etc.
efe42a6a7c991c691cc298a2e27c04fb.jpg

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compomotive and Barry returned my email inquiry promptly, his only suggestion was that some sort of chemical could have contributed to this failure.

Real nice... That's the classic response that prompts me to UN-recommend a company to everyone. Please let him know that the only reason they have sold any is due to the enthusiast community.

All the factory wheels I have that were powder coated by a Seattle commercial architectural metals coating company, have had not even the slightest cosmetic issues over 5 years now and roughly 80,000 miles on them. I spray 'wheel cleaner' maybe once a year and live in an area that gets salts in winter.

Compo needs to be more like "oh *****, how can we make this good?" not, 'i guess it's your fault...'

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just got my 5 X Compos from U.K. It took me 5 months for them to arrive due to serious problems
with the Aussie dealer Green Oval Automotive. Now about to mount BFG KO2's on the rims but I'm
intrigued by most U.S. buyers fitting 265/65 18's. It seems that 265/60 18's are closest in circumference
to the OE 19's. I'd like the higher sidewalls but want to keep the speedo accurate.
Do the 65's cause any rubbing problems or fouling on very rough trails??
I'd like to get darker center caps - my caps are OE silver. Anyone know where I can get darker caps?

Trust me, get the 265/65-18 and the E load range will last better and be better for hours off road at low psi plus the carcass has better puncture resistance. The speedometer will not be that much off but maybe up to 5%. Roughly speaking, it could be off by ratio of 30 to 31.5 which is 5% but the factory speedometers on many cars are often a bit under actual. You can test it on the highway using a sport app like cyclemeter or strava to see the avg spd compared to your dash. It's not an exact test but you'll see if it off enough to stay reminded of or not. You'll get a sense and do something like use no more than 5 over understanding that's still less than 10 over, or similar idea, depending on actual speed.

The more sidewall you can get, the better, without adding too much width.

265/65 will also still fit into the under spare location if you remove the fiber shield that will just get screwed up off road first time it hits something. So might as well unbolt it than have it ripped off.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely a crazy situation. Curious to see how it can be resolved.

I have always planned to refinish my compos at some point. The “black” color is almost grey in comparison to the factory black pack wheels. When my KO2s need replacing, I was planning on getting them refinished to to a true black. I figured I would have more time, but my KO2s are not holding up well at all. Seems they don’t like to be off-roaded...

I have plenty of scratches and trail rash on my compos with only about 2 years of ownership. I have no sign of any delams like you are seeing. When did you buy yours?

Schlepper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. My standard mix would be close about 15-20% Simple Green to water. I’m sure there’s been times that could creep slightly higher. Never full strength or anywhere close to it.

I’ve been using Simple Green forever.

Do you have first hand experience?

I've had it cloud and spot the clear coat on wheels years ago. Stopped using it since there were better options.

Looks like you aren't the only one with issues. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/compomotive-issues.168322/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA