Compomotive PD 1881 finish delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sailor96

Reaction score
My Compo's are getting installed as we speak.
Definitely keep an eye on the finish.
Went with 265/65-18 KO2's and a host of other goody's.
This why I read this board.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
simple green and aluminum do not get along well. The purple simple green is ok.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks jwest. The OE spare location is not an issue for me as I now have a
Kaymar rear bar with wheel carrier which allows fitting of a Brown Davis 110
liter aux fuel tank.
Is the sidewall strength better in the 265/65 18's because the higher profile
tire is constructed differently or simply because of the height?
I've heard that rubbing can occur with the 65's in serious situations. Have you
had no fouling problems at all?
I can live with the speedo being out by 5%. You just make allowances. But
our cops here give tickets for 4km over!! Victoria (Melbourne) is a police state!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks jwest. The OE spare location is not an issue for me as I now have a
Kaymar rear bar with wheel carrier which allows fitting of a Brown Davis 110
liter aux fuel tank.
Is the sidewall strength better in the 265/65 18's because the higher profile
tire is constructed differently or simply because of the height?
I've heard that rubbing can occur with the 65's in serious situations. Have you
had no fouling problems at all?
I can live with the speedo being out by 5%. You just make allowances. But
our cops here give tickets for 4km over!! Victoria (Melbourne) is a police state!

Zero rubbing issues on metal for that size in a BFG as they run a little small compared to some other brands. However, you will need to shift the wiring loom up about 4" on the driver or port side to keep the tire from tagging it at full left turn. If you have a RHD, then you'll need to verify if the wiring is driving side specific, or vehicle specific. My notes are based on LHD. The wiring on ours is along the frame, just to the rear of the height sensor mount. So you can imagine that if I turn full left, the inside edge of the tire will try to contact the frame right in the middle of it, depending on vehicle height. Raising the loom a few inches pulls it out of the rub zone.

On stock wheels/lr3, or compos with low offset, that tire should only rub there or maybe slightly against the stock fender liner near the bumper at most.

I LOVE having the 2nd fuel tank! Keeps you from being tempted to but fuel up high or even on the rear bumper plus the added weight that low helps slightly with offroad lean angles to offset the roof load of a rack or roof tent.

If you have an lr3/4 tdi, I don't really want to hear you complain about anything though ;)

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like rally wheels. Those Evos do it for me in ways the Compomotives never did. I know Land Cruiser guys have been running them on their 200 series for a while.

Those look amazing.

I've been using this to clean my wheels about every other time to get brake dust to cooperate.

https://www.chemicalguys.com/diablo-wheel-gel/diablo-wheel-gel.html

As I mentioned, I've scuffed mine a decent amount on the trails last year but the coat has held up
so far.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again jwest. Yeah, I love my 2014 Discovery - No "4" on tailgate. Discovery on hood. TDV6.
The motor has great torque, but not quite as good as the Italian-built 3.0 liter V6 turbo diesel in my
2014 Chrysler 300. Same motor as in Jeep Grand Cherokee here (and Maserati 4-door sedans)
The aux tank is brilliant for our huge touring distances. A bullbar is almost mandatory if driving
outside our urban areas because of Kangaroos which destroy the plastic fronts on 4WD's.
BFG KO2's going on my new Compo's in next few weeks, APT rock sliders, compressor guard &
air-tank guard to follow in July.
I intend to keep my Disco forever - I'm now 70!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zero rubbing issues on metal for that size in a BFG as they run a little small compared to some other brands. However, you will need to shift the wiring loom up about 4" on the driver or port side to keep the tire from tagging it at full left turn. If you have a RHD, then you'll need to verify if the wiring is driving side specific, or vehicle specific. My notes are based on LHD. The wiring on ours is along the frame, just to the rear of the height sensor mount. So you can imagine that if I turn full left, the inside edge of the tire will try to contact the frame right in the middle of it, depending on vehicle height. Raising the loom a few inches pulls it out of the rub zone.

On stock wheels/lr3, or compos with low offset, that tire should only rub there or maybe slightly against the stock fender liner near the bumper at most.

I LOVE having the 2nd fuel tank! Keeps you from being tempted to but fuel up high or even on the rear bumper plus the added weight that low helps slightly with offroad lean angles to offset the roof load of a rack or roof tent.

If you have an lr3/4 tdi, I don't really want to hear you complain about anything though ;)

Indeed, the auxiliary tank rocks.

The best mod I have done.

HarryO

Reaction score
Love my Compo BFG ko2 combination and have done some rough outback work with them not had any trouble so far (touch wood)

Had no problem with rubbing and found that the speedo is actually nearly bang on (tested against a cop mates radar gun) - which suggests that it underreads by about 5% out the factory.. not sure if that’s all cars but certainly mine..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72