Compomotive PD 1881 finish delamination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Barry has heard from a few of us. He was quick to say it must have been a chemical issue, by owner.

I was under the impression that these wheels were powder-coated from the factory. Though I cannot support my claim as its been 5 years since my purchase and their website has since changed and I can't find any documentation supporting that. If they were in fact powder-coated, I have a problem with the fact that they were clear coated without my knowledge. I still have my original 19's in my warehouse and will install while I send Compos out for blasting / powder-coating this summer when I replace worn tires.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing of the Evo Corsos coming to market is uncanny given these Compo problems.

mray

Reaction score
Since this started back in Jan. I’ve told two owners, who don’t visit this site, proceed w caution they should consider alternative 18s or stick with factory 20s for their LR4 before they drop nearly $2k. (or to buy mine at 50% of list lol, and I’ll pick up Dakars from M.Overland). If it was a chemical, such as cleaning, then why only 3 of the 4 wheels are peeling. It should be all 4.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this started back in Jan. I’ve told two owners, who don’t visit this site, proceed w caution they should consider alternative 18s or stick with factory 20s for their LR4 before they drop nearly $2k. (or to buy mine at 50% of list lol, and I’ll pick up Dakars from M.Overland). If it was a chemical, such as cleaning, then why only 3 of the 4 wheels are peeling. It should be all 4.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but had to ask: if it's a chemical application issue, maybe Compomotive should be using a powder coating facility that coats their wheels with a finish that can stand up to everyday/common wheel cleaners. It's not like this finish shouldn't inherently be built to stand up to all kinds of abuse. Especially at $2k per set.

None of these folks dipped their wheels in Walter White's body-dissolving acid barrel. They took them to everyday car washes/detailers. My guess is those washes/detailers don't have customers rolling back onto the lot daily with the finish on their wheels destroyed. So if Compomotive's "premium" alloys can't hold up to the same cleaners/care that every OEM wheel on the market can handle just fine, that's on them.

Whether it's a chemical application, a bad coating batch, or what have you -- the "tough crap" response from Compomotive is entirely unacceptable.

Count me among the list of buyers who were considering pulling the trigger on Compomotive, but will now be going another way.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrapping up this dilemma, I was able to get my wheels powder coated ($110 per wheel) and new shoes installed this past week. I managed 55K miles out of the original KO's and now put on the KO2's, 265 65. Pretty happy with that. Wife says she likes the new look of the KO2's and my garage smells like a tire factory. Looking for forward to getting them dirty.

fullsizeoutput_4067.jpeg

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now just get yourself some black lugnuts from Gorilla to complete the clean new look.

The difference it made on my Fuji white was easily noticeable. Now every black wheel on any Rover with the chrome lugs stands out like a sore thumb to me.

But, I’ve also been told I’m just a tad particular...

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now just get yourself some black lugnuts from Gorilla to complete the clean new look.

The difference it made on my Fuji white was easily noticeable. Now every black wheel on any Rover with the chrome lugs stands out like a sore thumb to me.

But, I’ve also been told I’m just a tad particular...

Personally, I like the contrast of the steel lug nuts.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see that.

My LR has the black pack so not as much corresponding matching pieces. With the trim on yours there is a better theme with the steel lugs.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see that.

My LR has the black pack so not as much corresponding matching pieces. With the trim on yours there is a better theme with the steel lugs.

Well it's not mine (I wish mine was white!) but yeah, I hear what you're saying. With the black pack, I'd want black lugs. But with the steel/silver on that white one, the steel lugs set off nicely, imho.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's not mine (I wish mine was white!) but yeah, I hear what you're saying. With the black pack, I'd want black lugs. But with the steel/silver on that white one, the steel lugs set off nicely, imho.
Lol. Whoops... I blame the 5am flight I was on for not noticing that pic wasn’t you. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV