compressor suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so this will be used sparingly and not perm mounted in the vehicle. i think the arb dual unit is overkill for my needs and would prefer something a little smaller. any suggestions? i have an arkpak i'll be running it from.

thanks

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with something smaller is the lower volume and longer time to air-up. So depends how low you take your tire pressure.

If you are going to rarely use one, I'd suggest getting a power tank setup instead.

ndamico

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the ARB compressor have to be permanently mounted? It isn't freestanding is it?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are ********. I off-road maybe once a month and rarely air down under 30-32 PSI, unless I am on sand. I have had this cheap portable compressor for 7 years and it's been perfectly suitable for my needs: http://www.amazon.com/Industries-MV...50&sr=1-2&keywords=masterflow+tsunami+mf-1050

Cheap? You bet and build quality doesn't compare to a Viair or ARB, but other than a few blown 30A fuses it's been working just fine all these years. It will air back up (from 30-32 to 42-45 PSI) in about 2-3 minutes per tire. More powerful compressors can probably do it in 1-2, but I usually have 5 minutes to spare. :biggrin: It's compact and you can stash it in its carry bag under the folded 3rd row seat, so it's out of sight when you don't need it but always in the car when you do. And if it ever breaks... It's only 60 bucks to buy another one, lol.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from someone who runs pretty much exclusively in sand, I can say the ARB is well worth it. The sheer CFM it shifts is unmatched for most in its class. This is especially important if you roll the tire off the bead of the rim in the sand. You need a compressor that can push enough air to re-seal the tire. Plus, airing up after a day out is so much quicker.

If someone comes up with a slick mounting solution for the twin pump I will most certainly be upgrading. The portable one I have has 50% duty cycle, whereas the twin has 100% and pushes twice the air CFM.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are ********.

Less ********, more "I don't want to be that guy holding up the group as we head to another trail or into town for beer". In the NE, we usually run around 18-15 psi.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Vlair 450p. its overkill for me, but its nice. It is a little large, but smaller than the ARB.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635