Considering purchasing a 2003 Discovery and need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlengeling

Reaction score
My name is Nick and I'm considering a discovery in the 2002-2003 range. I know that the 03 has a larger engine and more upgrades so I'm leaning towards an 03. Can anyone advise me on what to watch for when buying a disco in the 50-80K mile range? I've been told repairs can be very costly and I don't want to buy one without covering the important bases.
Thank you in advance.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, what are you planning on using the Disco, 03's have 2 down sides, no locking t/case so less traction and many 03's had bad oil pump/engine isues and lost their engine so make sure if you go to an 03 that you get the vin. number and call a local dealer to see if that truck has one of the potentially bad engines.

nlengeling

Reaction score
Mainly for getting around downtown during the week and driving up into the mountains on weekends as I live in Denver. Seems like a solid vehicle for navigating the snowfall in Denver as well. So they will know what I'm talking about in regards to the oil\engine problem if I call a Land Rover dealer with the VIN?

ysaga

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you buy a box with aspirin :biggrin: and expect lots hours in the mechanic shop:help:
you want a good advise go with toyota or nissan :hello:

nlengeling

Reaction score
So am I better off looking for a 2002 4.0? Anything glaring to watch for on the 2002 model?

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me bad try the next reply sorry.

Last edited:

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your wallet as it gets sucked empty by the Stealers. Sorry i'm into the older D1 95 5 speed center diff not the newer OB2 or D2 or what ever they call the 2002 or 2003 models. Wasn't that about the time BMW dumped Rover on Ford? Now owned by some company in India? I'll should shut up now as i've sunk way more money into my 95 than it's worth, worse than owning a boat plus it leaks more water in than a boat also. Take the advice above and buy the other mentioned brand as there are many people of that brand I know that have 200K hard trouble free cost free miles on them. Remove all the pretty plastic and cup holders from your decision plus pack away $5,000 for those Rover failure surprises. JMO, without starting a ******* war. I purchased my D1 because of one reason, the 5 speed plus plans of installing a 4.6 litre motor plus suspension for the street only, (a sleeper that corners and I got it plus beats the newer Rovers drifting on dry pavement). Only the Supercharged models will spank me on the straights until a twisty road begins the I **** and blast past them. This was not cheap to get what I wanted out of this junk GM motor sold to Rover. Best of luck plus anything over 40K miles you should keep extra cash on hand unless your a mechanic by trade. Trust me on this one being a licensed A&P mechanic, I wanted a challenge and got one, a Rover. Check the frequent repairs of Rover vs other brands then decide. With higher miles you do not know how badly it has been beat off road or maintained, that's a ***** word if there ever was one especially by dealers called half azzed maintenance. The're in the business to sell new not maintain your vehicle to go 300K miles. I passed 922K on one replacement motor from factory new but again do my own maintenance.
The best Rovers were the basic 60's era simple basic a rancher can keep it running with a screwdriver. Not today you must rely on a "TECH" not a mechanic, just a overpriced Stealership. Only a Stearship and a Rover owner will tell you they are the best vehicle in the world. Yeah right misery loves company. "Up on blocks again I see neighbor" I get all the time.
Call it a fun hobby wrenching on it more than you drive it's like a Top Fuel dragster but 900% slower.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mainly for getting around downtown during the week and driving up into the mountains on weekends as I live in Denver. Seems like a solid vehicle for navigating the snowfall in Denver as well. So they will know what I'm talking about in regards to the oilengine problem if I call a Land Rover dealer with the VIN?

Yes, if you call the service department and ask them to check that vin. number against Rovers list they can tell you.
Other then that and rebuilding the front drive shaft, it is a good vehicle.
I live near you so if you have any questions, send me your tele number.

d.a.r.y.l

Reaction score
rover purchase

I have one Rover in our family that I have to maintain (boo hiss boo ).IMO Rover should give their vehicles away for free if you maintain them because that's all I seem to be doing.I also have a '99 Grand Cherokee with 167k on the odometer with very little maintenance issues and have had no trouble getting around in the snow with it.For every $50 in maintenance that I spend on the Jeep I spend $500 on the Rover and it is 2years newer and has 40k less miles.The Rover reminds me of the old Harley Davidson motorcycles,work on them for 2 hours just to ride them for 1 hour.I'm not saying that all Rovers are high maintenance just the ones that the dealership doesn't own.:biggrin:

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boohoo the 96 jeep grand Cherokee in our family is a piece of junk8 cylinder small torque converter trash. It's always being worked on. My 95 has more miles on it and cost much less to maintain. Funny how the relationship of a vehicle to driver is. My discovery is the best vehicle I've owned. Easy to perform maintenance with very little trouble. I guess you just have to know how to treat them . The Cherokee tried to follow me thru the brook one day. Mistake!!! I date say a silly independent front suspension ford pickup or a rice grinder isn't gonna do it as well. Treat your vehicle well and it'll take care of you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak