Cracked head?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MatttheHatt

Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 2003 LR Disco with the engine apart and a steam cleaned #6 piston. I pressure tested the block and didn't see any leakage, so I put on some new head gaskets and freshly decked heads.

It started and ran, but LOTS of coolant coming through the exhaust as soon as it cranked up, even before it warmed up. LOTS of coolant...

How common are cracked heads?

I presume the machine shop pressure tested them as the PO said he had asked them to. I also don't see how that much coolant could have gotten into the cylinder unless the head was cracked.

Once I get the codes on my 2004 all cleared, I am going to pull the head on the 2003 again and pressure test it. If its bad, that's an easy fix. If its the block, I will have to decide if I have space, time and the budget to rebuild the motor...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure the exhaust wasn't already full of coolant?

MatttheHatt

Reaction score
It was steam, not just liquid and it kept steaming for the couple of minutes I ran it.

I got this 2003 with the heads off, as a project and the #6 piston was steam cleaned...

I fear its a cracked block, but there was no leaking around the liner when I pressure tested the block before putting the heads on.

With it leaking fluid into the cylinder so bad while cold, and no leaking around the liner that I could see, I am hoping its a head and not the block, but I know that's unlikely

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Give Nathan a call in my Signature, he may be able to help.

MatttheHatt

Reaction score
I can't see sigs in Tapatalk, but I'll look online tomorrow.

Thanks

Last edited:

777AIA

Reaction score
Nothing?

How long did you run engine? Did coolant come from your reservoir? It reduced in fill capacity? Or, is it possibly left over in exhaust from a prior failure?

(Sorry - missed that some of this was asked. Replied thru email link)

MatttheHatt

Reaction score
How long did you run engine? Did coolant come from your reservoir? It reduced in fill capacity? Or, is it possibly left over in exhaust from a prior failure?

(Sorry - missed that some of this was asked. Replied thru email link)
Ran it for 5 or 10 minutes, hoping it was just left overs in the exhaust, but the #6 piston was steam cleaned so I knew it wasn't a head gasket... I was just hoping the PO had somehow messed his assembly up when he had dug into it.

Essentially I see two options.
1 cracked block
2 cracked head

I am just puzzled at the immediate steam coming from the tailpipe. Pooled water in the exhaust tends to splatter out, not come out as vapour and cracked blocks are "supposed" to be asymptomatic until warm, which makes me suspicious it could be the head.

I may have time to finally pull the head this week or next and take a look and know for sure.

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently acquired a 2003 LR Disco with the engine apart and a steam cleaned #6 piston. I pressure tested the block and didn't see any leakage, so I put on some new head gaskets and freshly decked heads.

It started and ran, but LOTS of coolant coming through the exhaust as soon as it cranked up, even before it warmed up. LOTS of coolant...

How common are cracked heads?

I presume the machine shop pressure tested them as the PO said he had asked them to. I also don't see how that much coolant could have gotten into the cylinder unless the head was cracked.

Once I get the codes on my 2004 all cleared, I am going to pull the head on the 2003 again and pressure test it. If its bad, that's an easy fix. If its the block, I will have to decide if I have space, time and the budget to rebuild the motor...

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA