Crazy to add Tactical Rear bumper at 104k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94k on mine and just got my order in with Wendy. 10 short weeks is nothing compared to my 9+ month wait for the Gobi!

DrDan

Reaction score
Somewhat on the topic of the Tactical rear bumper. I just installed one over the last 2 days.
It mostly went OK, but I have one issue. I am having a big problem getting the rear fender
flairs back on. They were hard coming off (2014 with 79K miles) with a fair amount of crud up
underneath.

Does anyone have a good tip for getting them back on?

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat on the topic of the Tactical rear bumper. I just installed one over the last 2 days.
It mostly went OK, but I have one issue. I am having a big problem getting the rear fender
flairs back on. They were hard coming off (2014 with 79K miles) with a fair amount of crud up
underneath.

Does anyone have a good tip for getting them back on?
Are all the clips intact? The should just clip back in place. Maybe use a light deadblow hammer to get the proper force needed to clip them in place.

msdavenport87

Reaction score
While not the rear bumper in question, I recently had both rock sliders and an ARB front bumper installed on my 2012 LR4 with 104K miles on it. I just bought the truck from the original owner a few months ago and couldn't be happier with it. I see no reason whatsoever why you shouldn't upgrade your vehicle if it has served you well, been maintained, and gives you joy.

BTW, I too plan to add either the spare tire carrier or Tactical's full bumper replacement.

Last edited:

DrDan

Reaction score
Are all the clips intact? The should just clip back in place. Maybe use a light deadblow hammer to get the proper force needed to clip them in place.
Thanks for the response. Tried a deadblow hammer (gently) and with help from my brother we could not get the flair
into the proper position, curve of the flair matching curve in the fender. Unfortunately in our enthusiastic
attempts we broke a clip, so I am ordering new flairs.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Tried a deadblow hammer (gently) and with help from my brother we could not get the flair
into the proper position, curve of the flair matching curve in the fender. Unfortunately in our enthusiastic
So weird, I’ve installed two T44 bumpers on a couple of my L319’s and the trim hasn’t been an issue.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. You don't need to order new flares if you broke a clip. Body panel clips are all over ebay or Amazon for about $10. Or do you mean you broke the clip retainer on the plastic flare itself? How'd you do that? Your flares will be fine if it's missing one connection. But I agree, I've had my flares off a few times for various tasks and never had an issue. What you may need to do is place the flare up on the arch and then with a small pic or thin tool, you may need to adjust the clips in their slots so they align with the holes in the body.

DrDan

Reaction score
I'm confused. You don't need to order new flares if you broke a clip. Body panel clips are all over ebay or Amazon for about $10. Or do you mean you broke the clip retainer on the plastic flare itself? How'd you do that? Your flares will be fine if it's missing one connection. But I agree, I've had my flares off a few times for various tasks and never had an issue. What you may need to do is place the flare up on the arch and then with a small pic or thin tool, you may need to adjust the clips in their slots so they align with the holes in the body.
The molded plastic clips on the flair itself broke. Tried too hard to force it. The retainer fasteners that connect the flair with the body were
beat-up during removal and I have new ones to use on the reinstall. When I pick up the new flairs from the dealer, I will talk with their
body person on tips.
Thanks for all the responses.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The molded plastic clips on the flair itself broke. Tried too hard to force it. The retainer fasteners that connect the flair with the body were
beat-up during removal and I have new ones to use on the reinstall. When I pick up the new flairs from the dealer, I will talk with their
body person on tips.
Thanks for all the responses.
Ah ok, make more sense. New ones are pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72