Dash fade and leather seat treatment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched and came across some products I am looking at to first clean and treat leather seats...Connolly leather cleaner & "hide food" conditioner or Lexol.

Can anyone chime in about their experience with those two?

2nd...what have people used to treat the fading black dash? Aerospace 303 or Vinylex

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saddle soap my seats every early spring and late fall, then the next day I treat them with Lexol. Have had great results in my last 3 vehicle by doing this.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For dash board / interior plastics

I really like 303 Aerospace protectant for all the black plastics and rubbers on the interior of the LR3. It gives a great shine and supposedly protects from UV.

The one thing is that the 303 kind of smells like dirty sweat (really) if you do the entire car.

Just remember that 303 is designed to be put on and then buffed a bit -- NOT just liberally applied and left (like other dressings or cleaners). I find if I don't buff/rewipe it a few minutes later that it attracts dust and in my case, yellow lab hair.

Another product I really like is Maguires (sp?) Interior Quik Detailer . This is a relatively new product and IT IS FANTASTIC. I use the 303 about once a quarter (ie on my "big details" of the rig) ... and then inbetween use the Maguires to keep everything looking brand new.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
303 is good, but like said above you mus buff/wipe it down. I really doesnt restore color, just protects. I like lexol too, use it on all my cars with great results, it not sticky or greasy.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saddle soap before using the Lexol to get the most from your leather.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please ignore mike's statement about saddle soap. Use lexol cleaner instead of saddle soap. Below is the reason. This is taken from lexol's website

LEXOL-pH LEATHER CLEANER
THE PRODUCT:

LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is a blend of selected, non-alkaline cleaning agents designed to clean leather safely and thoroughly without the harshness or potentially damaging effects of saddle soaps, which are alkaline.

PRODUCT RATIONALE The LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner formula is based on the principle of breaking up and removing the oils, which trap dirt in the leather while its foaming action lifts out the embedded dirt, leaving the leather with a clean, alkaline-free environment.

COMPARATIVE PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS

In contrast to LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner’s foaming action, which loosens and suspends the dirt so that it can be easily rinsed away, the process of applying saddle soap results in working dirt into the leather where it can become trapped by the saddle soap’s own lubricants. Rinsing may not remove all of the deposited soap, dirt and oil, so buildup can occur, subjecting the leather to the harsh effects of saddle soap’s alkalinity.

LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is purely a cleaner. It contains no waxes, oils or additives that can interfere with its cleaning action or cause dirt to become trapped in the leather. Although glycerin is included in the formula to provide residual softness following cleaning, it leaves no deposit or impediment to the thorough cleaning of the leather. Dirt and grime are easily and thoroughly rinsed away.

Saddle soap does contain raw oils for the purpose of conditioning. This runs counter to the cleaning action of soap, which involves the removal of dirt by removing oils present on the leather.

LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is non-alkaline. Its balanced formula falls within the pH range of leather itself, and therefore, is safer for leather. Since it is alkaline-free it contributes to the prolongation of fiber life.

In contrast, soap must be alkaline in order to clean effectively and it is this alkalinity that is always harmful to leather. Thus, cleaning leather with saddle soap subjects the leather to the harsh effects of its alkalinity which can include: graying, discoloration or staining of light colored leathers, loss of vital tanning agents, cracking of the grain surface and other signs of deterioration.

LEXOL pH Leather Cleaner leaves no buildup on the leather even with hard water. Saddle soap; however, forms an insoluble residue in hard water, which may accumulate on the leather’s surface.

LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner is concentrated, so its cleaning effectiveness is accomplished with a considerably smaller quantity of product.

In summary, LEXOL-pH Leather Cleaner outperforms saddle soap by safely deep cleaning the leather, freeing it of dirt and accumulated oils, thereby providing an alkaline-free environment ideal for a finishing application of LEXOL Conditioner and Preservative to restore clean, fresh lubrication to the leather.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Murphy's Oil Soap and warm water for the entire interior including leather. Use a well wrung out microfiber cloth and dry immediately with a dry microfiber. Leaves no artificial residue, shine, smell, whatever. Excellent long term, safe results for cleaning.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Lexol Cleaner and Lexol Conditioner with good results on the leather seating surfaces.

For the other interior plastics, I just started using Griots interior cleaner. It did an okay job, but be careful with overspray on the windows, it doesn't like to come off!

Also, just ordered Poor Boys Trim Restorer - primarily for the exterior plastics (wheel arch moldings, etc) but supposedly it also can be used for interiors. Reviewed here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/22085-review-poorboy-s-world-trim-restorer.html

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little off topic...everyone must try sonax wheel cleaner...the best by far. a true hose off product

Trynian

Reaction score
I've searched and came across some products I am looking at to first clean and treat leather seats...Connolly leather cleaner & "hide food" conditioner or Lexol.

Can anyone chime in about their experience with those two?

2nd...what have people used to treat the fading black dash? Aerospace 303 or Vinylex

I use Connolly Cleaner and Hide food on the advice from the UK people. I am pleased with it.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic25302.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635